Importing bookmarks

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dave_s
Level 1
Level 1

Importing bookmarks

Post by dave_s »

Hi, I have recently converted from windows to Mint and everything has gone without a hitch. I am very impressed and my only complaint is that I did not do it sooner :)

One thing that does have me stumped though is when I import bookmarks into the browser. Everything imports fine but every link in the bookmark menu has .url at the end. The only way I seem to be able to remove it is to go through every links properties and remove it manually. As I have hundreds of bookmarks this could take forever. Does anyone have any ideas as to a simpler way of doing it? The bookmarks were all imported via the html file I saved whilst backing up my windows stuff.

Many thanks

Dave
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Importing bookmarks

Post by DataMan »

Assuming you are running Firefox -> Firefox, did you try the backup option on the originating end (Windows) with the restore on the destination end (Mint)?

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
dave_s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave_s »

I am using Opera at the moment but have tried importing them into Firefox as well with the same problem.

I just used the export to html option in windows and saved that. And in Mint I used the import option.

Cheers

Dave
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

I have seen that happen before with one of the export methods from Windblows Internet Explorer and do not remember how I dealt with it, however, if you open a terminal, navigate to where you bookmarks.html file is you could do this:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/.url//g' bookmarks.html

that will remove every instance of the .url crap from you bookmarks file....
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

If you have your old profile in a folder, just start Firefox like this:
Press alt+F2 and write: firefox -profilemanager
You should then be able to use that folder.

If not, these are the files you need to back up. and copy to your new profile.

atlef.

Return to “Newbie Questions”