New windows opening *behind* current ones

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ghostgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

New windows opening *behind* current ones

Post by ghostgrrl »

After using Mint 7 awhile, suddenly whenever I click to open a new application or window such as the MintMenu, the new window opens behind the currently open windows. This is especially happening when I click Menu - Quit: the shutdown window opens behind whatever I'm working on, and unless I click on it in the panel, it's not visible (i.e. hidden behind open maximized windows).

This is occurring with everything now. Sometimes if the open window is small the new window is partially visible, but still behind the others. To get a visual, if you have ever worked with graphics in Word or a similar program and you want to paste them into layers (one on top of the other), you have the option of clicking "Move to back" or "Move to front," etc. The new windows are opening in the "back," and I have to click on them in the panel to "move to front."

ALSO: The MintMenu stays on top when opened, even after clicking to open an application such as Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. I have to click on it again to get it to close.

I am running Mint 7 on an Acer Aspire 5610z laptop, 160GBHDD, 1GBDDR2. The laptop was built for WinVista Home Premium, but is not dedicated Linux. If more stats are needed, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated.
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New windows opening *behind* current ones

Post by mathazar102 »

Hello! When did this problem start happening? What were you doing when this first occurred? I wouldn't think that your hardware would have anything to do with it. I'll try to see what might be causing it. :)
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mathazar102 »

Sorry...just noticed this was posted in August. Are you still having problems with that?
mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

hi ghostgrrl

This will fix your problem

Open Terminal [Menu-->Terminal] and run this command

Code: Select all

gconf-editor
click on apps->mintmenu
clear pin_menu checkbox

cheers
mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
ghostgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ghostgrrl »

mathazar102 wrote:Sorry...just noticed this was posted in August. Are you still having problems with that?
Slight correction: I *joined* in August, the post was from 11/7/09.

At the moment I am still having this issue, though I'm going to try the suggestion(s) below to see if it helps.
ghostgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ghostgrrl »

mick55 wrote:hi ghostgrrl

This will fix your problem

Open Terminal [Menu-->Terminal] and run this command

Code: Select all

gconf-editor
click on apps->mintmenu
clear pin_menu checkbox

cheers
mick
Okay, did all that and it hasn't changed. I tried clicking Menu - Quit, and again the Shut Down Computer window came up *behind* the currently open window(s). BTW it doesn't matter if I have one window open, many windows open, or what. Though I guess it wouldn't happen if there were *no* windows open, since there wouldn't be any windows to open behind (i.e. it would be the only window open).

This happens with any window I try to open, like if I click Menu - Home: the Home folder window opens behind the MintMenu window, though on top of this particular window when I tried it just now. The main issue seems to be twofold: (1) the MintMenu window opens, then remains open over other windows that open, and (2) the shutdown window opens behind everything else -- the only way to get to it is to click on it in the panel.

It did not do this originally when I installed, several months ago. Weird.
joel2665
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joel2665 »

Hello,

I encountered this also. However, when I clicked the Mint menu, the menu appeared with a little rectangular box in the upper-left corner of the menu that acted like a push pin feature. When I clicked the box, the behaviour stopped.

I hope that makes sense; I am in a bit of a hurry, so I'll check back later and add more detail if necessary.

Regards,
Joel

Return to “Newbie Questions”