[UNSOLVED] How to add a Bookmark?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

[UNSOLVED] How to add a Bookmark?

Post by jebbers »

I have this horizontal tab that says Bookmarks. There is an option for adding a bookmark, but it does not function. How do I troubleshoot this?
Thanx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon Pentium© Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz × 2
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to add a Bookmark?

Post by gittiest personITW »

What application?
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

gittiest personITW wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:06 pm What application?
Thanks for responding. I don't understand. Doesn't my sig have that info?
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

jebbers wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:12 pm
gittiest personITW wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:06 pm What application?
Thanks for responding. I don't understand. Doesn't my sig have that info?
That horizontal tab is actually the menu for the file manager. The "Add Bookmark" menu item works, it silently adds a bookmark for the current directory you're in. Click on Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks and you'll see all of your bookmarks.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

OK. It adds a Bookmark called Home when I am in Pictures. I want a Bookmark for Music under the sidebar that says Bookmarks. It should be just like my old Music bookmark, with the music emblem.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

jebbers wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 pm OK. It adds a Bookmark called Home when I am in Pictures. I want a Bookmark for Music under the sidebar that says Bookmarks. It should be just like my old Music bookmark, with the music emblem.
It added a bookmark for Home because you were in Home. You may have the Pictures folder highlighted but you were in Home - yes, it's a bit confusing. If you want a bookmark for Pictures then you need to go inside the Pictures folder and then click Bookmarks > Add Bookmark. There are two ways to add bookmarks:
a) Go inside a folder and click Bookmarks > Add Bookmark
or
b) Click Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks and manually add your bookmark there

You can re-create the Music folder with the following steps:
1) Go into your Home folder
2) SHIFT+CTRL+N to create a new folder, name it Music
3) Once the Music folder is created, right-click it and choose Properties > Basic
4) Click the folder icon on the left
5) In the "Choose an icon" window, click on Places in the left panel and double-click the "folder-music" icon in the right panel
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

Thanx. Where can I find the "choose and icon" window? I clicked the folder and didn't see that. It's not in my Bookmarks editor.
Last edited by jebbers on Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

jebbers wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:12 pm Thanks for responding. I don't understand. Doesn't my sig have that info?
You do understand that it's possible to block signatures? There are a few here that do that. The best way to give your system info is to include the results of inxi -Fxz, which is run in the terminal, in each and every post. Another reason some ignore the info in a signature is that often, when someone upgrades their Mint or their machine, they forget to update that info in the sig. Also, when you do update that info, then you have your new info on old posts that were on an older Mint or an older machine, which can cause confusion. That's why many here on the forums frown on putting system info in the signature line.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

jebbers wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:54 pm Thanx. Where can I find the "choose and icon" window? I clicked the folder and didn't see that. It's not in my Bookmarks editor.
I think you missed a step or two. See step 3 below:
1) Go into your Home folder
2) SHIFT+CTRL+N to create a new folder, name it Music
3) Once the Music folder is created, right-click it and choose Properties > Basic
4) Click the folder icon on the left
5) In the "Choose an icon" window, click on Places in the left panel and double-click the "folder-music" icon in the right panel
US Navy, NEC HM8404
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

DONE
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] How to add a Bookmark?

Post by jebbers »

Thank you.
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

I made the new bookmark while in Home and it set up a 2nd home folder, which I then edited to "Music" and placed the emblem from Properties > Basic. While the new bookmark folder is showing the music emblem in the folder on the right side, the folder tab on the left side under Bookmarks, does not show that emblem. It shows a Home emblem.
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jebbers »

This screenshot shows the new Music bookmark on the right with the correct music icon, but on the left, that same bookmark shows a home icon. I'd like to correct this.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-09-11 16-56-20.png
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Right click on Music on the left side - Properties - Basic tab - Click on the icon - change it.
jebbers
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [UNSOLVED] How to add a Bookmark?

Post by jebbers »

UNSOLVED
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [UNSOLVED] How to add a Bookmark?

Post by mikeflan »

Yeah. When you right click on Music on the left side there is no Properties :roll:
Select Bookmarks - Edit Bookmarks - select Music on lower left and hit remove. Then go all the way into Music and add the Bookmark again. Then change the icon again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”