[SOLVED] LibreOffice - how do I add new fonts?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YvonneBLM
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LibreOffice - how do I add new fonts?

Post by YvonneBLM »

As the title says, where and how do I get a new font for libreoffice?
I wish there was an easy and simple way within the program itself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: LibreOffice - how do I add new fonts?

Post by Pjotr »

There are several ways to do it; it's not difficult, thankfully. This is how I do it:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... 2.html#ID1
(item 1)

By the way: if you don't use Asian fonts, this can remove a lot of useless clutter:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8
(item 8 )
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You don't add fonts to LibreOffice specifically. What you do is download a font, install it, and then different programs including Libreoffice will allow you to use it.
There are many places to find and download fonts; putting the words 'free fonts' in your search engine of choice will give you tons of options.
Download a .ttf file (it sometimes comes inside a .zip; in that case, use the Package Manager to extract it) and doubleclick it to view it in the Font Viewer. Then there will be an Install button at the right hand top of the window. Clicking that should do the job. You will probably need to close and open LibreOffice in order to see and use your new font.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
YvonneBLM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YvonneBLM »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:31 am There are several ways to do it; it's not difficult, thankfully. This is how I do it:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... 2.html#ID1
(item 1)

By the way: if you don't use Asian fonts, this can remove a lot of useless clutter:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8
(item 8 )
#1 worked.

#2.. all I can say is wow, freed up 193 MB !

Thank you
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] LibreOffice - how do I add new fonts?

Post by Venus Flytrap »

The "Noto" fonts are also a lot of useless clutter. A ridiculous number of them. I disabled the Noto fonts using Font Manager. I'm not sure if there's a better way of doing it.
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
Uncle Tim
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] LibreOffice - how do I add new fonts?

Post by Uncle Tim »

Thank you Pjotr for your font tutorials! Worked like a charm!
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon/Xfce. Linux Mint enthusiast since spring 2012.

Return to “Beginner Questions”