Buffer I/0 error on dev sda1, logical block 131062, async page read [ SOLVED ]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BananaFish
Level 1
Level 1

Buffer I/0 error on dev sda1, logical block 131062, async page read [ SOLVED ]

Post by BananaFish »

Heya!
I am new to Linux and since a friend of mine helped me install Mint everything has been working fine and well but as at this morning, I wasn't able to log in to my computer, it says Buffer I/0 error on Feb sda1, logical block 131062, async page read.
Please I have no idea what this means as I only started using Linux earlier this week.
Can anyone help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Buffer I/0 error on dev sda1, logical block 131062, async page read

Post by 1000 »

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Linux+solved+ ... =lm&ia=web

I do not know too
I/0 error --> something was written and read something completely different (should be the same)
sda1, logical block 131062 --> The error is related to the hard disk. ( sda )

Edit

You can check what it is sda with
GParted app or with gnome-disks app
and with commands in terminal

Code: Select all

blkid

lsblk

sudo fdisk -l
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_block_addressing.

Personally, I cannot tell if the error is caused by a hard disk error.
1. You can check RAM

Example memtest with Linux Mint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FFW8k7o-Ok

I use Memtest86 and Memtest86+ from UBCD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

3. Check system logs. Check if the error repeats.
You can check on YouTube how use terminal on Linux
You can read how read logs ( journalctl , syslog , dmesg )
viewtopic.php?p=2064012#p2064012

2. Check errors of hard drive with GSmartControl app.
- If your hard drive does not support SMART technology. ( then log not exist )
Try to secure important data on the disk first and check the disk with other methods.
Some disk checking procedures may format it ( erase all data on the disk ).

Sometimes the error can also be due to an error in creating a partition.
Or a hardware error. For example, a loose power plug.
Good luck in your search.
BananaFish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Buffer I/0 error on dev sda1, logical block 131062, async page read

Post by BananaFish »

Lmao, I can't use any apps because I can't log-in
I am just stuck in that terminal
I went around and saw something about running a manual fsck, that solved the problem, sl
BananaFish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Buffer I/0 error on dev sda1, logical block 131062, async page read [ SOLVED ]

Post by BananaFish »

It was just a hard-disk issue, changed it and it's all working fine
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Buffer I/0 error on dev sda1, logical block 131062, async page read [ SOLVED ]

Post by ThaCrip »

I thought I would add the following for those who regularly get this on USB sticks, which you can probably ignore if you see in the "Logs" (Mint menu > Logs (and will be on 'Important' tab))...

"Buffer I/O error on dev sde1, logical block *NumberHere*, async page read" (and the like) (NOTE: sde1 is my USB stick on my system)

because I narrowed it down to the 'eject' (file manager, right click USB stick, select 'eject') as that's when that occurs as if I 'unmount' (in file manager, right click USB stick, select 'unmount') it first then 'eject' those errors do not come up.

because I can delete and transfer files to the USB stick and no errors are logged in relation to it as it's only when I do the 'eject' is when that I/O Error is logged.

NOTE: I tried a few USB sticks and even different USB ports (front of case and back of case on motherboard) and they react basically the same. I am using Mint v20.3-Xfce with 5.13 kernel (but was on Cinnamon for quite sometime until last month with similar results etc).

basically if you want to avoid having the error logged a simple enough work around, at least on Mint v20.x-Xfce, is to just 'unmount' the drive and then physically remove the USB stick instead of using 'eject'. but either way, it don't really matter much as your USB stick will still work as expected.

p.s. but in short, file transfers with general eject work as expected on my USB stick(s) ; a bit more detail... but to further test to make sure all is good with basic file transfers and ejecting so there is no data corruption etc I basically put in a USB stick, started a large file 4GB transfer (so it will take time to finish), then I went to the ‘eject’ and a little popup came up asking me if I want to force eject as there is still a file transfer in progress, which of course I said no. so at this point I waited for the file transfer to complete with the on screen file transfer and as soon as it was done I immediately went to the ‘eject’ again to see what happens and this time it just shows that little message at the top right of the screen saying not to remove the USB stick yet as file transfer is still going at which point I just waited, because it stayed there for a while longer as data was still being written, and then disappeared after it was done and processed the eject and then I can remove the USB stick since it was safely ejected like usual.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”