SelfSolved - Updates, dvd drive, timeshift mess. No boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DumbMechanic
Level 1
Level 1

SelfSolved - Updates, dvd drive, timeshift mess. No boot

Post by DumbMechanic »

After the last update my dvd burner started to open-close randomly so I decided to use timeshift for the first time. Now my system is totally unbootable. Just a black screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Updates, dvd drive, timeshift mess. No boot

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

You've found the bug in the last update.
See here:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=356654

Anyway - to give your computer a chance to be fixed, can you boot up to Live Mint (USB/DVD) and run Timeshift from there.
That should get you back to whichever snapshot you choose. If I were you I'd go for the one just before the update and if for some reason that doesn't work, try the next one etc.
Let us know how it goes.

If there is still a problem, boot back into Live Mint and follow the instructions at number 5 in the following link so we have more info about your system:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
DumbMechanic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Updates, dvd drive, timeshift mess. No boot

Post by DumbMechanic »

I reformatted and everyrhing was ok till I updated again.
I was thinking that the erroneous update would be fixed quickly but no.
I formatted again but now I'll be smarter. No updates and timeshift for me.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: SelfSoved - Updates, dvd drive, timeshift mess. No boot

Post by mikeflan »

Use Timeshift for sure if you have the disk space for the snapshots.

Open System Info to figure out what kernel you are using. If it is the 5.4 series, you can update up to 5.4.0-81-generic if that is an option. Beyond that your CD door will start cycling. We are all sticking with older kernels until this is fixed. Thanks for confirming that it is not fixed yet :o
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

Please don't stop doing updates, the problem with the DVD drive opening and closing is coming from the kernel, so when you get a notification that there are updates, look for the kernel in Update Manager and uncheck the update box, then do the rest of the updates.

It's also a good idea to use Timeshift, if something goes wrong, you can use it to go back to the original configuration instead of reformatting and reinstalling.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
DumbMechanic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DumbMechanic »

timmn1 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 am Please don't stop doing updates, the problem with the DVD drive opening and closing is coming from the kernel, so when you get a notification that there are updates, look for the kernel in Update Manager and uncheck the update box, then do the rest of the updates.

It's also a good idea to use Timeshift, if something goes wrong, you can use it to go back to the original configuration instead of reformatting and reinstalling.
I will stop. It's a third time I reinstall in 7 months because of updates. Let's see how much it will last without updates. I have a backup, there is no sensitive stuff on my pc and I don't handle bank accounts. Except this account I'm not on any social network also. And I'm home behind a router with no strangers logged in. I will just update firefox.
I have nothing to fear.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SelfSolved - Updates, dvd drive, timeshift mess. No boot

Post by timmn1 »

Frankly, that is a rather unwise decision, but it is yours to make, there is always something to fear. The internet is wonderful, but it can also be a dark and unforgiving place. I wish you good luck.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”