[SOLVED] No mint logo during startup and shutdown, shows something like terminal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
visaal_pathak
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No mint logo during startup and shutdown, shows something like terminal

Post by visaal_pathak »

I am new to linux mint. I was using linux mint 19 tara for about a month, and yesterday, I upgraded it to 19.3 tricia from update manager and i updated the kernel too. I don't really know what triggered it but when logo would appear during starting and shutting down in tara, now no logo shows, it shows terminal like interface. Although I have not encountered any other problem until now, seeing terminal like interface with a lot of lines of code like screen makes me anxious and i don't know may be i miss mint logo :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: No mint logo during startup and shutdown, shows something like terminal

Post by motoryzen »

visaal_pathak wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 pm I am new to linux mint. I was using linux mint 19 tara for about a month, and yesterday, I upgraded it to 19.3 tricia from update manager and i updated the kernel too. I don't really know what triggered it but when logo would appear during starting and shutting down in tara, now no logo shows, it shows terminal like interface. Although I have not encountered any other problem until now, seeing terminal like interface with a lot of lines of code like screen makes me anxious and i don't know may be i miss mint logo :)
I wonder if Karlchen's comments here viewtopic.php?t=299919 are applicable to explaining the problem's cause and possible solutions

But I'm more interested in the part of your choice to upgrade from 19 to 19.3. Did the update manager make you upgrade from 19 to 19.1, 19.1 to 19.2, and then 19.2 to 19.3? I'm fairly doubtful it would allow you to upgrade in one step straight from plain 19 ( Tara) to 19.3 ( tricia). I've never see any version of Linux Mint allow such a ( skip some in between sub versions) upgrade.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
visaal_pathak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by visaal_pathak »

I don't know if I should be able to do it or not as I am new to linux but yeah I was directly able to update from 19 tara to 19.3 tricia from update manager. I was getting some problems in tara recently as I was not able to get to settings from neither menu nor terminal and upgrating to 19.3 tricia from update manager fixed that. but now it boots with a lot of codes like lines and shuts down the same way(like when we press the escape key when shutting down) without even pressing esc.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I was getting some problems in tara recently as I was not able to get to settings from neither menu nor terminal and upgrating to 19.3 tricia from update manager fixed that.
That is a pleasant surprise. Generally an update should not be done unless your original system is already running well.

All of my LM19.3 machines boot up nicely. My LM20.1 machine boots up nicely, but it does give a few lines of terminal output in the upper left for about 0.5 seconds - then the logo - then the login screen. I have never been able to read those lines because they disappear too fast. So far I just don't worry about them.

If I had 2 machines I would be tempted to make a new LM19.3 install. Upgrades are not always 100% good, and I have never done an upgrade yet.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

visaal_pathak wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 pm I don't really know what triggered it but when logo would appear during starting and shutting down in tara, now no logo shows, it shows terminal like interface. Although I have not encountered any other problem until now, seeing terminal like interface with a lot of lines of code like screen makes me anxious and i don't know may be i miss mint logo :)
That sounds like the quiet splash kernel parameter was somehow removed.

Please open a terminal and run the following command to print the contents of the grub file on your screen.

Code: Select all

cat /etc/default/grub
Then copy and paste the results in your next post using code tags. Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code] like in this graphic.

A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
visaal_pathak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by visaal_pathak »

It says no such file or directory

visaal@visaal-Inspiron-3542:~$ cat /etc/default/grub
cat: /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory
visaal@visaal-Inspiron-3542:~$ 
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Need some details of your system. Post back following code result.

inxi -Fxxxzr
Maybe with an old hardware you didn't need to upgrade or could avoid jumping to 5.4 kernel serie removing linux-kernel-generic package before upgrading (see here), but your laptop (if it is a Dell Inspiron-3542) is not so old and Intel HD Graphics 4400 will give you no problems with 5.4 kernels.

The issue would be related with grub upgrade as /etc/default/grub has been removed (you would be asked about it when upgrading). You can look for a backup copy with ls /etc/default/grub* (maybe something named grubxxxx-old)

You can edit that file (xed admin:///etc/default/grub-whatever) and save as grub in the same folder. If there is only grub.ucf-dist, I think you are using now, maybe you will need to modify it before saving. Share it contents if you want to be sure as indicated by SMG.

In any case run sudo update-grub to see results.

Also post back following codes result

cat /proc/cmdline
mokutil --sb-state
dpkg -l grub* *shim*
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
visaal_pathak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by visaal_pathak »

I upgraded again to 20.2 uma hoping that will fix the problem but it didn't. I am getting the same problem.
I also think maybe it's the grub because after installing tricia I got stuck on the grub resource screen which i solved from a youtube video.
The output of what i get after the

inxi -Fxxxzr
command is

ystem:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-84-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.5 wm: muffin 5.0.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Portable System: Dell product: Inspiron 3542 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Chassis: type: 8 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0V7JC0 v: A02 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A02 
  date: 04/18/2014 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 20.2 Wh condition: 20.9/41.4 Wh (50%) volts: 16.2/14.8 
  model: SMP-SDI2.8 DELL FW1MN31 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-4210U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 1 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 13567 
  Speed: 1697 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1697 2: 1696 
  3: 1696 4: 1703 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0a16 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.3 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 chip ID: 8086:0a0c 
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:9c20 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-84-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Dell driver: ath9k v: kernel port: f040 bus ID: 06:00.0 
  chip ID: 168c:0036 
  IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell 
  driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8136 
  IF: enp7s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-1.6:6 
  chip ID: 0cf3:0036 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 23.90 GiB (2.6%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 
  size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> 
  rev: 1A01 scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 195.86 GiB used: 23.90 GiB (12.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: 44.0 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freedownloadmanager.list 
  1: deb [arch=amd64] https://debrepo.freedownloadmanager.org/ bionic main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
  1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:
  Processes: 225 Uptime: 4m Memory: 3.75 GiB used: 1.04 GiB (27.6%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 7/9 
  Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38 
visaal_pathak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by visaal_pathak »

sudo update-grub shows:

Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/50_linuxmint.cfg'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/60_mint-theme.cfg'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/linuxmint/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-84-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-84-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.0.0-32-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.0.0-32-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-156-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-156-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-20-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-20-generic
done
cat /proc/cmdline gives this:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-84-generic root=UUID=2eb19aff-1aeb-4beb-b3a2-751a2c2e7920 ro
mokutil --sb-state gives:

EFI variables are not supported on this system
dpkg -l grub* *shim* gave this:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                  Version           Architecture Description
+++-=====================-=================-============-======================>
un  grub                  <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-cloud-amd64      <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
ii  grub-common           2.04-1ubuntu26.13 amd64        GRand Unified Bootload>
un  grub-coreboot         <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-doc              <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-efi              <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-efi-amd64        <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-efi-arm          <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-efi-arm64        <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-efi-ia32         <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-efi-ia64         <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-emu              <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
ii  grub-gfxpayload-lists 0.7               amd64        GRUB gfxpayload blackl>
un  grub-ieee1275         <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-legacy           <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-legacy-doc       <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-linuxbios        <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
ii  grub-pc               2.04-1ubuntu26.13 amd64        GRand Unified Bootload>
ii  grub-pc-bin           2.04-1ubuntu26.13 amd64        GRand Unified Bootload>
un  grub-uboot            <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-xen              <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub-yeeloong         <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  grub2                 <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
ii  grub2-common          2.04-1ubuntu26.13 amd64        GRand Unified Bootload>
ii  grub2-theme-mint      1.2.2             all          Grub2 theme for Linux >
un  shim                  <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  shim-signed           <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
un  systemd-shim          <none>            <none>       (no description availa>
lines 11-33/33 (END)
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Would be interesting to know the video you followed to solve grub rescue probIem. It is clare Plymouth (Mint logo) is disable as per cmdline (there is no quite splash in kernel line as it should be) .

You didn't show sudo update grub complete result (including that line) but there is no first line with Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub' as that file has been removed. You don't mention anything about grub files in /etc/default/ to recreate it just editing and saving as /etc/default/grub.

You can try to reinstall grub-pc (sudo apt install --reinstall grub-pc) and update grub (sudo update-grub) to see if first line sourcing /etc/default/grub is included.

If it is not you can try sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc or purge (apt remove --purge grub-pc grub-common) and reinstalling again (apt install --reinstall grub-pc grub-common).

As last resort you can created it by hand (sudo touch /etc/default/grub) edit (xed admin:///etc/default/grub) and copy and paste standard contents on it

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
Save file, close editor and update grub (sudo update-grub)
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
visaal_pathak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] No mint logo during startup and shutdown, shows something like terminal

Post by visaal_pathak »

Thanks, I reinstalled 20.2 version using live usb and it fixed everything. Seems like upgrading using update manager did not install everything in a proper way.

Return to “Beginner Questions”