Updates installed while 0 bytes available space: how to recover?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisra
Level 1
Level 1

Updates installed while 0 bytes available space: how to recover?

Post by chrisra »

I just had the update manager install new versions for a whole lot of packages, including the kernel and Firefox. While this happened I got a warning of low disk space (on the system partition) and found that the updates had filled it so much that there was actually at 0 bytes available for most of the time. I started clearing up space, which the updates kept eating up until it was back to 0 bytes. Still, the updates ran without error messages, however I'm suspicious that something must have gone wrong. After clearing up more space with

Code: Select all

sudo apt clean; sudo apt autoremove
I already re-installed the new kernel version, which was easy thanks to the update manager. However as for the other packages, that's not so simple. So far I have run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
with no output. Can I do anything else? Do I need to dig into the apt and dpkg log files to find which packages may be corrupted? And then how do I repeat the updates? Or would you assume everything is fine and I should just reboot?

Putting this in the "Beginner Questions" section because, like a total noob, I haven't set up Timeshift on this computer yet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Updates installed while 0 bytes available space: how to recover?

Post by sleeper12 »

It seems unlikely to me that they would have installed at all if there were really 0 bytes available. But, wait & see what others have to say.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SP0v4B9gMG
If you have 0 bytes free on / you won't be able to login.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
chrisra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrisra »

What I forgot to mention: there was still some space free at the start, and when I noticed the problem I started clearing up space, which the updates then filled up again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”