Unwanted Software Updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cochise54+
Level 1
Level 1

Unwanted Software Updates

Post by Cochise54+ »

I'm a newbie to Linux and can't code.
My questions = I keep getting updates for software not installed on my PC/system. 1) Why am I getting them? 2) Since I've got 17 of them 'clogging' my update manager now, how do I get rid of them? 3) How can I stop getting them?
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Unwanted Software Updates

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Cochise54+.

The answer to your questions has been given in this post e.g. Re: Unexpected packages updates.
Quoting the relevant parts of this post here for your convenience:
karlchen wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:13 amI can truthfully assure you that precisely this is never going to happen.
petermrg wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:50 amSometimes I get update notifications for packages that aren't installed in my system
Update Manager only offers available updates for software, which has already been installed on your system.

You do not have to trust my words. Instead make all the available columns visible under Update Manager View Visible Columns, specifically the column "Old Version".
In case your assumption were right, then this column would be empty for some updates. But it will never be empty. So a previous version is present on your system in all cases.
Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Cochise54+
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cochise54+ »

I use my Software Manager to check on the items listed in Update Manager. When I do so I either have a result of it not being installed or 'Matches Not Found'. The kicker is my getting a security update for 'Intel-Microcode' when I have an AMD CPU.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

You can see which packages are installed in the Synaptic Package Manager or with the command apt list --installed. There are lots of things installed that you might never use but they are used by something you use or are there to use when you choose an option somewhere. They are not in the Software Manager as they are only installed as part of installing something else.

It means you can start things without having to wait for a download. For example, you might never use Python but you use things that use Python. You might never use LibreOffice Draw but it is there ready for use. I never requested nvme-wq but it is there servicing my NVME disk. They all get updates.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Cochise54+
Cochise54+ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:48 pmThe kicker is my getting a security update for 'Intel-Microcode' when I have an AMD CPU.
Linux Mint installs both, amd64-microcode and intel-microcode, no matter whether the CPU is AMD or Intel.
The kernel, however, will only load either amd64-microcode or intel-microcode, depending on whether the CPU is AMD or Intel.
So there is no reason to be worried.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

the simple reply to you is if there are updates to install, install them as they are ALL related to something on your computer whether you know what ii is or not. you start trying to pick and choose what updates you think you need and you will be messing up your install by having broken packages and stuff.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Linux is a LOT more modular than WIndows. Those 'uninstalled' apps are associated dependencies of either software that came with the Mint install or ones you installed later. Don't worry about them. I've been using nothing but Linux for a while and I get updates for apps I don't recognize a lot still.

It helps with all this to be a bit conservative with your software sources. As far as apps go I only have .deb sources for chrome and vivaldi, no ppas.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”