Switching to local mirror (and back) for Updates?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pstein
Level 1
Level 1

Switching to local mirror (and back) for Updates?

Post by pstein »

After setting up Linux Mint v20.1 I was asked in Update Manager if I want to switch to a local mirror.
I clicked NO

How can I later changes this decision and switch to local mirror?

If local mirrors offer only advantages why is this not the default and automatically selected?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Switching to local mirror (and back) for Updates?

Post by Moem »

You can change the mirrors on the Software Sources configuration window.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pstein
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pstein »

Ok, So when I open "Software Sources" there are two repository entry fields:

Main and Base

Whats the difference?

Can I put every repository server into each of the two fields?

or are some of the repository servers only usable as Main others only as Base mirrors?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

As far as I know, there is no overlap. You'll need one of each. They offer a different set of packages.

Simply press each of the buttons (one at a time), and you'll see a list of mirrors, sorted by speed. Pick one from the top of the list (after giving the list some time to populate) if you like your updates speedy.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I gave up on switching mirrors years ago and just use the default Mint mirror. It's more reliable and those speed stats are too variable day to day.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 am I gave up on switching mirrors years ago and just use the default Mint mirror. It's more reliable and those speed stats are too variable day to day.
I guess that could depend on where you are in the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”