Newbi needs help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MichaelTheDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Newbi needs help

Post by MichaelTheDragon »

Hi,

Sometimes linux is overloaded(example: when i play games) and i can't go back to any menu like: window CTR+ALT+DEL
or is there an other way in linux?

michael
Waarom makkelijk doen als het ook moeilijk kan?
Why do easily as it can be difficult?
MaddogF16

Re: Newbi needs help

Post by MaddogF16 »

If you're wanting to see running processes and load, open a terminal and type "top" w/o quotes.
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mathazar102 »

Hello! Maddog is right, top is a great command to see processes running at real time on your system. If you want just a snapshot of what processes are running on your system and not have the processes constantly change order, use the ps command. If you need to kill a process after you identify the PID (Process ID) of the program that is causing your system to hang, use the kill command (be very careful with this command and make sure that you know exactly what process you are killing...killing the wrong process can be fatal). If you want to learn more about these commands consult their man (manual) pages. You might already know this, but just in case you don't here is how to access a command's man page at the command line:

commandprompt ~ $ man ps

commandprompt ~ $ man top

commandprompt ~ $ man kill

These man pages will show you additional options you can add to the command to help you accomplish your goal. To return to the command line from a man page hit Ctrl+Z.
MichaelTheDragon
Level 1
Level 1

hey,

thanks for the advice, but how can i open terminal screen when i'm playing a game, the problem is that i can't return to
the menu anymore, like the game 'frets on fire'

Michael
thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thx1138 »

MichaelTheDragon wrote:hey,

thanks for the advice, but how can i open terminal screen when i'm playing a game, the problem is that i can't return to
the menu anymore, like the game 'frets on fire'

Michael
Try the following: Press ALT + F2, check "Open in terminal" and type "top" or "htop".
MichaelTheDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help,
Michael

Return to “Newbie Questions”