[SOLVED] Changing start order?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Changing start order?

Post by Keith2021 »

I installed Mint xfce on an Acer Aspire and then I installed Zorin 15.3 and both work great. When I start the computer and let it bootup by itself it will open the Zorin. I can pick what one I want to open but I want Mint to open first if I let it bootup by itself. How or where do I change this so the first OS installed opens instead of the second OS starting first? Mint was installed first then second, Zorin. Mint is the primary OS Zorin is secondary. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux mint 20.2-Mate, Linux Mint 21-Cinnamon, Zorin 16 Pro
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Changing start order?

Post by motoryzen »

Keith2021 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:26 pm I installed Mint xfce on an Acer Aspire and then I installed Zorin 15.3 and both work great. When I start the computer and let it bootup by itself it will open the Zorin. I can pick what one I want to open but I want Mint to open first if I let it bootup by itself. How or where do I change this so the first OS installed opens instead of the second OS starting first? Mint was installed first then second, Zorin. Mint is the primary OS Zorin is secondary. Thanks.
One possible simple resolution is to go into your UEFI/bios ( aka press fWhatever key to enter setup) and see if under the boot device options or boot priorities .something to do with boot..... does it give you the choice to change which item boots up first ...IF...you see "ubuntu" once or even twice or if your bios/uefi recognizes one versus the other as having a differently labeled name...
Last edited by motoryzen on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Refer to this post, I had a similar problem.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=337962
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Keith2021 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:26 pm I installed Mint xfce on an Acer Aspire and then I installed Zorin 15.3 and both work great. When I start the computer and let it bootup by itself it will open the Zorin. I can pick what one I want to open but I want Mint to open first if I let it bootup by itself. How or where do I change this so the first OS installed opens instead of the second OS starting first? Mint was installed first then second, Zorin. Mint is the primary OS Zorin is secondary. Thanks.
You can edit /etc/default/grub as root to select another os as default

in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Use the arrow keys to navigate to
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
Changing the 0 to 2 will cause the 2 os to be selected as default without
re-arranging the grub table.

After that change is saved run:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

then reboot
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Are you booting in legacy or UEFI mode? If legacy, then zorin will have overwritten grub.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

I went in the terminal and typed in sudo nano /etc/default/grub and the window comes up but it says there is no default. It is empty.
I read another post and typed in sudo grub-install /dev/sda and now it boots into the Mint but I can't boot into Zorin?
I might just install the Mint again and have just the one program.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Keith2021 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:53 pm I went in the terminal and typed in sudo nano /etc/default/grub and the window comes up but it says there is no default. It is empty.
I read another post and typed in sudo grub-install /dev/sda and now it boots into the Mint but I can't boot into Zorin?
I might just install the Mint again and have just the one program.
Which is why I asked the question, legacy or UEFI boot? sudo grub-install /dev/sda is fine for legacy boot, UEFI is a bit more complicated. One of many on the web:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/831216/ ... -partition
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

I got the file to come up and did what you said. this is what I get after saving it.
keith@keith-aspire-one:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for keith:
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/50_linuxmint.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-156-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-156-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-54-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-54-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Zorin OS 15.3 (15) on /dev/sda5
done
keith@keith-aspire-one:~$

it boots up to Mint first now in the correct order but it is at the Memory test instead of on Mint program that I usually click on.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Keith2021 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:19 pm it boots up to Mint first now in the correct order but it is at the Memory test instead of on Mint program that I usually click on.
That's because you have change GRUB_DEFAULT from 0 to 2 as all41 sugested here in Zorin's /etc/defaut/grub, as sugested before reinstalling Mint's grub as you did.

Now Mint is directing your boot if it is your first option in GRUB menu and Zorin is detected so it will be the second option in GRUB menu. If you want to boot memtest by default you will need to change GRUB_DEFAULT in Mint's /etc/default/grub and run sudo update-grub again.

PD: Sorry Ididn't read in deep what you want first time.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:16 am, edited 12 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

It is as I wanted it to be, Mint first and Zorin second. so this is solved.

The easiest way to do the sort order is to watch this video on Youtube... https://youtu.be/e8QqvMsOuo8 this give an easy quick idea as to what you need to be doing. I hope this helps others to figure this out.

Return to “Beginner Questions”