Think I unintstalled my drivers and can't get them working again. How do I fix this? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LoudAndClear
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Think I unintstalled my drivers and can't get them working again. How do I fix this?

Post by LoudAndClear »

Here's what I got:

Code: Select all

Graphics: 
Device-1: NVIDIA TUI104 [GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER] vender: PNY driver: nvidia
v: 470.63.01 bus ID: 09:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,versa resolution: 1920x1060~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01 direct render: Yes 
I take it the "driver: nvidia" line means my driver is now working? If so, thank you!

Should I make a separate thread for my networking issues?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Think I unintstalled my drivers and can't get them working again. How do I fix this?

Post by SMG »

LoudAndClear wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 amGraphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA TUI104 [GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER] vender: PNY driver: nvidia
v: 470.63.01 bus ID: 09:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,versa resolution: 1920x1060~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01
direct render: Yes

I take it the "driver: nvidia" line means my driver is now working? If so, thank you!
Yes, it is. I marked the drivers in red. You are welcome.

Please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
LoudAndClear wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:34 am could removal of that file cause networking issues?
Not of which I am aware.
LoudAndClear wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:34 am Bizarrely, the system appears to think it's connected to the internet. On startup, it says that it is connected to the Wi-Fi network, and the icon in the bottom right corner of the desktop says it is connected. But then stuff like this happens:

Code: Select all

$ ping google.com
ping: google.com: Name or service not known
There is a difference between the wireless running and whether or not you are connected to the Internet. I helped someone recently who discovered their VPN was not running properly and that was stopping the connection to the Internet even though the computer was working on the local (in house) network.

You did an upgrade-in-place from LM19 to LM20 and sometimes glitches happen when doing that, so make sure to mention that in the new thread you create for the networking issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”