Timeshift clarification

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Timeshift clarification

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
If I do a Timeshift using / and /home what do I get extra than isn't there using plain ole /home?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Timeshift clarification

Post by deck_luck »

Sorry, I do not understand what you are trying to convey.

Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.

Reference:
TimeShift readme
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

NO.
When I started with Linux (Mint) forum an experienced person recommended that I create 2 partitions: / and /home which I did without thinking. I recently had a (another) melt-down and absent-mindedly didn't format a separate '/' partition. I'm now wondering... I assume both ways would work in the same way so why create the / partition at all?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

Peter Linu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:17 am ...
I'm now wondering... I assume both ways would work in the same way so why create the / partition at all?
You must have the / (root) file system, and the /home file system is optional. It is entirely up to the user to create two separate file systems. If you able to perform the appropriate file system maintenance and backups, a separate optional /home file system is viable.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Peter Linu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:17 am NO.
When I started with Linux (Mint) forum an experienced person recommended that I create 2 partitions: / and /home which I did without thinking. I recently had a (another) melt-down and absent-mindedly didn't format a separate '/' partition. I'm now wondering... I assume both ways would work in the same way so why create the / partition at all?
The benefit of a separate home partition (or heck, even disk) is that if/when root (/) needs to go (e.g. for a reinstall / upgrade), you can leave your personal data (in the second partition / disk for /home) left alone.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

djph wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:51 am The benefit of a separate home partition (or heck, even disk) is that if/when root (/) needs to go (e.g. for a reinstall / upgrade), you can leave your personal data (in the second partition / disk for /home) left alone.
And the drawbacks are you can, for example, be short of space either on / or on /home instead of only being short on space on the whole. It's not so clear-cut. Some will find if better with a separate /home, others won't.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Beginner Questions”