Lost Panel and followed wrong advice I think

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meldholleman
Level 1
Level 1

Lost Panel and followed wrong advice I think

Post by meldholleman »

I lost the panel on Ubantu Linux MInt 20. I search the internet and found a recommended fix. It called for reinstalling gcon2. When I did that it lost all my previious document files. I don't know if this can be recovered or not since it reinstalled the file manager, but I sure would like ot have those files back. I haven't saved any files or added any documents yet.

cpu quad-core intel I5-g1 64 bit
kernel 5.4.0-26 generic x86-64
shell bash 5.0.17
469.67 gb ssd drive with half used for windows
Linux mint cinnamon 4.6.7
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
initrd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost Panel and followed wrong advice I think

Post by initrd »

Files that are lost are generally not able to be restored, you can check the trash folder on both root and your own user, but chances are that there will be nothing there.
I have no clue what gcon2 is, but apps handled by the Mint team do not remove your personal files, they might however replace a config file, which is just an annoyance since you might need to set that up again.

About the panel; In the cinnamon panel settings you can add a new panel and just drop everything that was on your old panel on there.

If you can, could you provide the link to the gcon2 app where you downloaded it from so that I can check if there is malicious code involved?
meldholleman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meldholleman »

I did a quick search and couldn't find the link where I got the wrong advice, but I'll search again when I have more time. Thank you for a quick response. Unless I can get the old config file back, I have lost those files.
initrd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by initrd »

Sadly not much you can do about that, I do want to strongly recommend you getting a nice USB stick where you dump your personal files on from time to time for safe keeping
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I don't know if this can be recovered or not since it reinstalled the file manager, but I sure would like ot have those files back.
Those personal files may be gone, but you might be able to bring your system back with Timeshift.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

You can restore a default panel in cinnamon with this command gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon

You "may" be able to restore those files, I guess that depends....
Have a look at test disk, this link will start the research. https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+r ... +test+disk

I have recovered deleted files from a SD card once with this software, and admit looking through a hard drive would be more work.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Beginner Questions”