Help on the log entry

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akhir
Level 1
Level 1

Help on the log entry

Post by akhir »

Hi guys
a newbie here.. install mint 20.2 couple of days ago using my old xp pc
only today manage to have a look at the logs

there are few entries under the important categories
checked and can see online that the issues are quite well discussed

however under one of the entries cannot find anybody else complaining:
sender: sudo
myusername: a password is required ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/myusername ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/hddtemp -nq -u C /dev/sda
priority: 1

is this something i should be concerned of?

TIA for help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help on the log entry

Post by Aztaroth »

Hello,
It's a security warning. You probably checked the automatic login at install and the system tells you there may be an issue because any one can have an access to your computer's files.

But if you're happy with it because you live in a dungeon or a fortress :D , you can skip this warning.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
akhir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by akhir »

thanks Aztaroth
but i remember quite clearly i didnt enable autologin during the installation or at any other point
what should i do next ? any advice?
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

akhir wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:05 am thanks Aztaroth
but i remember quite clearly i didnt enable autologin during the installation or at any other point
You didn't mention if I was right to assume that your login is done automatically. Do you have to enter a password to login your session or not ?

If you don't have, you can restore login with password. As English's not my native language, translation below may not be totally accurate.

- Menu LM / Administration / Login Screen (I guess translation should be something like this)
- Enter password and select Users tab
- Tick the box at the end of the first line (translation should be something like Allow manual login).

From next boot on, you will be asked for selecting your login name (if many) and password.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

seems you ran the command sudo /sbin/hddtemp -nq -u C /dev/sda ; and the command was logged.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

djph wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:18 am seems you ran the command sudo /sbin/hddtemp -nq -u C /dev/sda ; and the command was logged.
I'm not sure of that because :
- the path is incorrect. To check sda's temperature it should be :

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/sbin/hddtemp -nq -u C /dev/sda
- on my system at least, not-found-commands are not logged at all and even if I brutally abort the sudo command above when password is requested by closing the Terminal I have :

Code: Select all

sept. 22 18:50:55 hp4770 sudo[3349]: pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed
sept. 22 18:50:55 hp4770 sudo[3349]: pam_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [aztaroth]
But I'm also learning, not making absolute statement.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

yeah, I'm not sure "where" the original question / log entry is coming from tbh. Looks like some kind of systemd "log".
akhir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by akhir »

Aztaroth wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 am
akhir wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:05 am thanks Aztaroth
You didn't mention if I was right to assume that your login is done automatically. Do you have to enter a password to login your session or not ?

If you don't have, you can restore login with password. As English's not my native language, translation below may not be totally accurate.

- Menu LM / Administration / Login Screen (I guess translation should be something like this)
- Enter password and select Users tab
- Tick the box at the end of the first line (translation should be something like Allow manual login).

From next boot on, you will be asked for selecting your login name (if many) and password.
yes i need to keyin password everytime.the login is not on auto,
anyway i think can live with that for time being
would be nice to have a clean log but i think i will move on to exploring other things
thanks guys for the input

Return to “Beginner Questions”