Turn laptop into remote desktop, but close lid - how to prevent LAN and power sleep for XFCE edition????

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arkh
Level 1
Level 1

Turn laptop into remote desktop, but close lid - how to prevent LAN and power sleep for XFCE edition????

Post by Arkh »

Hi!

I have laptop with Mint 20 Ulyana XFCE. Just tried XFCE power settings several times - no luck.

Before a login into GUI was performed. When I'm closing lid my laptop will go into offline mode - network disconnect. When lid opened network is back again... It will go offline even if there is active an SSH session into it. GUI login was a workaround but is somehow broken past week.

When I'm closing LID after GUI login it may suspend immediately after lid has been closed or minute or two later or work quite long. "Magic." :( I'm using laptop over SSH and lid is always closed. It may or may not suspend on lid close even if GUI login performed.

Where is it set up at low level? How to prevent sleeping? What a Systemd or another systems are controlling it, how to set them up in desired way?

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Turn laptop into remote desktop, but close lid - how to prevent LAN and power sleep for XFCE edition????

Post by jsb »

We used to use an XFCE laptop with a closed lid and wireless keyboard to stream to a TV. I know there were settings under power manager that needed to be changed as it sounds like you have done, maybe there were some under screensaver, too?

I don't recall having to do anything more than that, but could be forgetting as it was several years ago.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Turn laptop into remote desktop, but close lid - how to prevent LAN and power sleep for XFCE edition????

Post by fabien85 »

Also check in the firmware interface / BIOS. Sometimes there is a setting to put the computer on sleep when the lid is closed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”