Upgrading from Mint 18

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading from Mint 18

Post by dewdrop »

I found "How to install software on Linux Mint" under Beginner Questions so I guess I will start here, even though this article is more about using the Upgrade Manager, whereas my issue is with upgrading the operating system.

I bought this "newish" computer not too long ago. It came loaded with the Software Manager and is running Mint 20 right now.

My problem, however, is with my older computer, which did not come with the Software Manager. It has been running Mint 18 since then. 'No big deal', I thought. Until a few days ago when I received a message ("End of Service", "End of Life", something like that) informing me that my Mint 18 needed to be upgraded very soon. I found this (blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020) and a couple of how to upgrade to Mint 20 articles on the internet, but they all seem to depend on me having the Software Manager.

Question: Is there a terminal command I can execute to load the Software Manager. on to my Mint 18 computer? I think tat would make upgrading a lot easier.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Upgrading from Mint 18

Post by xenopeek »

Software Manager is for installing programs. It is not used for upgrading Linux Mint. The command is mintinstall but again, it is used for installing new programs for you -- not for upgrading to newer Linux Mint versions.

To upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3 to 19 you can use this guide: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416. If you really have Linux Mint 18 and not 18.3, you'll first need to upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3 with this guide: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462. But then you end up on Linux Mint 19 which has just 1.5 years of life left so pretty soon you'll have to do that dance again to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3 and then to 20. You can't upgrade from Linux Mint 18 to 20 in one step.

I think this is a lot of headache. Instead I suggest you do a fresh install of Linux Mint 20.2, using the entire disk of the computer --- overwriting the current Linux Mint 18 installation and any of your personal files on it. So make a backup of your important personal files (documents, browser bookmarks, and such) first. Doing a fresh install may sound harder than it is. We have an installation guide that takes you through all the steps: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... index.html. I would recommend doing that.

There are 3 editions of Linux Mint 20.2: Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce. If you like your Linux Mint 18 I suggest to install the same edition for Linux Mint 20.2. You can open the terminal program from your menu and run the command inxi -S which will tell you your exact Linux Mint version and edition.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

dewdrop wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:54 pm
Question: Is there a terminal command I can execute to load the Software Manager. on to my Mint 18 computer? I think tat would make upgrading a lot easier.
Even if it were possible, it wouldn't matter since the LM 18 repos have been gone for something like 4 or 5 months at this point (and 90% of the time, there's a small handful of necessary updates at the very end to go from old-release to new-version).

Backup anything important, then grab the LM 20 install media from https://linuxmint.com/download.php . In the event that "older machine" is 32-bit hardware, then get LM19 or LMDE4 instead (LM20 only supports 64-bit machines).
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

Thanks Xenopeek and djph. This is very good information. I will back up and then proceed as you advised. Hopefully, all goes smoothly.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

dewdrop wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:54 pmI found this (blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020) and a couple of how to upgrade to Mint 20 articles on the internet, but they all seem to depend on me having the Software Manager.

Are you, perhaps, confusing "update manager" with "software manager"? Those instructions mention the former and not the latter.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I went from 18 to 20.2 a couple of weeks ago. I simply bought a 240GB SSD and installed on that and then with the old disk plugged in to a different SATA plug, copied all the files across. Note, copied. This means I have everything backed up on the old disk. The old one is actually now in another computer but it could have been put on the shelf.

If you have a laptop, connect the old disk with a SATA to USB cable and copy across.

As for 32 or 64 bit. 64 has been around for well over a decade so I'd be very surprised if you had a 32 machine. Our old eMachines Netbook which came with 32 bit XP (then a decade of 32 bit MATE) actually has a 64 bit CPU and yes, I've run up a USB stick with 20.2 Cinnamon on it just to check.
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

jsb,
I had to take another look at that post (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020). You are correct. I misspoke re: update manager versus software manager. Unfortunately the laptop I am trying to upgrade has neither of these managers.
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

RollyShed,
Good to hear about your 18 to 20.2 success. I can't duplicate; don't have the equipment you used.
My Mint 18 (not anything higher) is 64 bit.
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

Okay, I am starting through xenopeek's link (https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... index.html). I took a snapshot using Timeshift. I'm choosing Linux Mint Cinnamon. But locking up on the "Download the SHA256 sums" part. Don't know what I supposed to do at "How to mirror Linux Mint".
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

dewdrop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 pm jsb,
I had to take another look at that post (https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020). You are correct. I misspoke re: update manager versus software manager. Unfortunately the laptop I am trying to upgrade has neither of these managers.
You should be able to install that via a terminal command. I only know how to do things that way via copying and pasting. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will give you the correct commands.

Otherwise, I did find a prior discussion that appears to provide that:
viewtopic.php?t=287546

I wouldn't think it possible to exclude that from an installation and it would be a strange thing to have uninstalled.

I'm sure you can find a command to install software manager as well, but that's less critical than the update manager.

I've done the upgrade process since it became an option. Not sure if that was 16 or 17? In either case, I have made it from there to 19.3 on 2 machines, with minimal pain.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

dewdrop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:03 pm Okay, I am starting through xenopeek's link (https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... index.html). I took a snapshot using Timeshift. I'm choosing Linux Mint Cinnamon. But locking up on the "Download the SHA256 sums" part. Don't know what I supposed to do at "How to mirror Linux Mint".
It appears that you are on this page: https://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php :?:

This one seems clearer to me for downloading, given that you have decided on Cinnamon:
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=288
Last edited by jsb on Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

dewdrop wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 pm RollyShed,
Good to hear about your 18 to 20.2 success. I can't duplicate; don't have the equipment you used.
You simply buy the bits at the local shop. We have no idea where you are in the world but an SSD should be about $25US or less and a USB to SATA cable about half that price.

Again, no mention of the laptop so no idea whether it is one screw or 20+ to do the job. And yes, there can be a great range of accessibilities.

Information, Information, Information, Information, .....
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

jsb,
"It appears that you are on this page: https://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php". You are correct. I will check out your suggestion.
teepeeaye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teepeeaye »

The need or not need is up to you and your LM18 will not stop to work. The only thing that might stop is the maintenance of the programs in the repositories. Wether that is a problem depends on how and for what you use the PC. If you predominantly use programs from other sources the technical life of your LM18 may be several years in the future. There can also be good reasons to stick with an old version - such as specific versions of various libraries, qt and python.
Apart from that it is great fun to install new versions. If you know your linux one way to do it relatively flexible is to have your /home on a separate partition. Often the clean install however gives you the opportunity to clean up the home directory. I have a few old linuces on the shelf and access them by booting on external usb hard disks. Very flexible, actually.

I dont recall about the Software Manager as I never use it. If the Packet Manager is installed but just disappeared from the menu you can try to start is in a shell window. Its command line name is synaptic.

If prefer not to be reminded that support has ended then don't start the update manager. That works well and I update manually anyway.
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

"The need or not need is up to you and your LM18 will not stop to work. The only thing that might stop is the maintenance of the programs in the repositories. Wether that is a problem depends on how and for what you use the PC. If you predominantly use programs from other sources the technical life of your LM18 may be several years in the future."

Very interesting, teepeeaye. The End of Life warning sounded dire. I have never maintained the programs in the repositories. I use the LM 18 computer mostly to read the day's news and check my email. Maybe I don't have a problem?
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

teepeeaye wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:44 pm The need or not need is up to you and your LM18 will not stop to work. The only thing that might stop is the maintenance of the programs in the repositories.
While the OS itself will continue to work (same as say Windows95 still "works"), there are no longer any security patches being put out. Your entire post is at best misguided.
dewdrop wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:42 pm Very interesting, teepeeaye. The End of Life warning sounded dire. I have never maintained the programs in the repositories. I use the LM 18 computer mostly to read the day's news and check my email. Maybe I don't have a problem?
You go online with it. You most certainly have a problem.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

I've upgraded Mint many times these past 10 years, but as age undermines mental acuity I have some forgetfulness about preserving/transferring the contents of /home. (I do not run a separate /home partition)
The upgrade instructions are great, but would Timeshift (stored on separate drive) be the best way?
I use entire onboard SSD for Mint, and have separate drives for Timeshift (internal; SSD) and Backup (external; USB).
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

oxygenfarm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 amI've upgraded Mint many times these past 10 years, but as age undermines mental acuity I have some forgetfulness about preserving/transferring the contents of /home. (I do not run a separate /home partition)
The upgrade instructions are great, but would Timeshift (stored on separate drive) be the best way?
I use entire onboard SSD for Mint, and have separate drives for Timeshift (internal; SSD) and Backup (external; USB).
Timeshift can include /home, if you tell it to. But you indicate that you have a backup drive, do you not use that to back-up your personal files in /home already? Certainly on an ongoing basis, I'd rather have my personal files backed up separately from timeshift and that is way most recommend doing things. I don't see any reason to change the way those files are backed up during an upgrade.

While, I have not used timeshift that way. I do have timeshift set to include only hidden files in /home and also include /root. I have read that some may have very large hidden files in /home, due to the way some things get installed. I don't have anything like that, so including it is trivial in terms of the extra space needed.

For personal files, I just manually copy them to an external drive.
dewdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dewdrop »

I was hoping to hear a range of views before continuing, so thank you to all who have replied. I love the supportive nature of this website.

I will proceed with the procedure. Like oxygenfarm, I have my age-undermined mental acuity, but I will do my best. Plus my daily (at best) internet access is limited. BTW: I do not have a partitioned drive.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

dewdrop wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:02 pmI will proceed with the procedure. Like oxygenfarm, I have my age-undermined mental acuity, but I will do my best. Plus my daily (at best) internet access is limited.
Us older ones will try and help you youngsters with your problems.

Now back to doing what I suggested doing, me that is. I'm at present doing an installation on an SSD in an old desktop before fitting it to the owners laptop and then I'll copy his files across.

Tools? I'll need a small screw driver for the final bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”