Fear of Newness - Books?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moreach
Level 1
Level 1

Fear of Newness - Books?

Post by Moreach »

I seem to know almost no Linux commands. Is there a basic book or .pdf I can get on using Mint? (Cinnamon desk) :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Fear of Newness - Books?

Post by Pjotr »

You can consider this as a crash course:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... namon.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Murdock2525
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Murdock2525 »

New thing called YouTube out on them innerwebs. Some Great Mint footage to be found there
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moreach wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 am I seem to know almost no Linux commands.
Other than curiosity, is there a particular reason you feel you need to know Linux commands?

The Cinnamon desktop is designed to be easy to use with graphical interfaces so you can point and click and not have to use Linux commands.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

SMG wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:11 am
Moreach wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 am I seem to know almost no Linux commands.
Other than curiosity, is there a particular reason you feel you need to know Linux commands?

The Cinnamon desktop is designed to be easy to use with graphical interfaces so you can point and click and not have to use Linux commands.
While most things can be handled with a GUI application, not everything can and there will be a handful of things that may need the terminal, mostly for diagnostics or repairs. It doesn't hurt to get comfortable with some of commands for situations when they will be necessary. That's also when a list of the most often used ones can be handy. Ones that comes to mind is making FSTAB entries for automounting drives, TRIM commands when scheduled TRIMing of SSDs may not be reliable, such as on computer that aren't on all the time. The terminal is sometimes needed for installing programs. Some programs only run from the terminal because they do not have a GUI front end available.

Probably the most common command required here is inxi -Fxxxrz.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 amProbably the most common command required here is inxi -Fxxxrz.
For most troubleshooting purposes, the information in that command can be supplied in Cinnamon by opening the System Reports app, clicking System Information on the left side and then copying the information that comes up on the right side. All done through through point and click.

Some people who are new to Linux Mint assume one has to know commands in order to use Mint, but many people using Linux Mint never use the terminal. That is why I asked why the OP wanted to know.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I seem to know almost no Linux commands. Is there a basic book or .pdf I can get on using Mint? (Cinnamon desk) :D
The Linux Command Line PDF book, (Fifth Edition), can be downloaded with this link below...DAMIEN

https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxc ... f/download
SuperJoker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SuperJoker »

I never needed a book to start using any device or systems with windows. I needed help after I started using on certain points for special cases. If you need a book then the device-system is not good. Linux desktop systems do not need a book.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Moreach wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 am I seem to know almost no Linux commands. Is there a basic book or .pdf I can get on using Mint? (Cinnamon desk) :D
This would be a good start for you. https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I seem to know almost no Linux commands.
If you need a book then the device-system is not good. Linux desktop systems do not need a book.
This would be a good start for you. https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php
People...Please take note that she is not asking if the Linux desktop systems "need a book"!

She is not asking for a "Linux Mint installation guide" or "users guide" documention to the operating system!

She simply said she doesn't Know anything about "Linux Commands" meaning nothing more than what are they or how to use them in the CLI terminal!!!

What she is asking for is exactly what i have provided for her in my previous post...Let's not be confusing here with things not asked for by the OP!!!...DAMIEN
The Linux Command Line PDF book, (Fifth Edition), can be downloaded with this link below...DAMIEN
SuperJoker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SuperJoker »

I was actually answering to this

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am

djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

SuperJoker wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:53 am I never needed a book to start using any device or systems with windows. I needed help after I started using on certain points for special cases. If you need a book then the device-system is not good. Linux desktop systems do not need a book.
The "special case" here is that the OP wants to learn the command-line; and would like a book to learn that aspect of utilizing their LinuxMint system.

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 am The Linux Command Line PDF book, (Fifth Edition), can be downloaded with this link below...DAMIEN
That one's pretty good for a general overview. If you really wanna deep-dive, the "BashGuide" at https://mywiki.wooledge.org is another great resource.
Moreach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moreach »

Solved, found "Linux for Dummies" at library and got it. :D
Moreach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moreach »

Also thanks to Damen! I DLed both of his suggestions, so hopefully I am now all set! :lol:
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

If you read some of the other forum posts, you will see what is really needed. Mostly for trouble shooting. The crusty oldies love the command line because they grew up with tablets made of slate. Even chalk on a blackboard is new fangled to them. :shock:

You could run a command line to display your system or just open up System Reports and look at the system information. You can look at resource usage in System Monitor plus you get a pretty screenshot you can post on Instagram.

Use Gparted instead of the parted command. Life is easier. Leave the tough stuff for when you on a SAS course. :D

What sort of computer do you have? What will you use it for? You might need command line for configuring a router or a Web server or recovering from Nvidia problems or, well 99% of the problems are Nvidia.

The other thing to remember is to search for answers using Google instead of the forum search. The results are often better. And most results for Ubuntu apply to Linux Mint because LM is based on the big U.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Also thanks to Damen! I DLed both of his suggestions, so hopefully I am now all set! :lol:
You are most very welcome Your Ladyship Moreach...lol...DAMIEN
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Moreach wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:45 pm Solved, found "Linux for Dummies" at library and got it. :D
Things in the Linux world can change rapidly. Try at least to get a publication that is current if you're going to go with printed material.
BrandNewUser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrandNewUser »

Just use it and google.

Return to “Beginner Questions”