[SOLVED] Using AMD system why Intel audio drivers running?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Using AMD system why Intel audio drivers running?

Post by Allewyn2 »

Audio: Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: eVga.com. driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 26:00.1 chip ID: 10de:1aeb
Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 28:00.4 chip ID: 1022:1487
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-84-generic

The above is excerpt from system settings listing. My sound has problems. It was working.
I am new to this and followed the steps in: https://itsfoss.com/fix-sound-ubuntu-1304-quick-tip/
I ran:
sudo apt install inxi
then
inxi -SMA

When that made no change, I ran
sudo alsa force-reload
and rebooted. No change.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sudo apt-get purge win10 && sudo apt-get install Happiness
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Using AMD system why Intel audio drivers running?

Post by SMG »

It's the name of the kernel module. More Notes on HD-Audio Driver indicates, " Linux provides a single driver for all controllers, snd-hda-intel. Although the driver name contains a word of a well-known hardware vendor, it’s not specific to it but for all controller chips by other companies."
Allewyn2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:13 pmI ran:
sudo apt install inxi
inxi is already on your Mint install. No need to install it again.
Allewyn2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:13 pmthen
inxi -SMA
This should just be a listing of output. It is not supposed to change anything.
Allewyn2 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:13 pmWhen that made no change, I ran
sudo alsa force-reload
and rebooted. No change.
If it was loaded already then nothing would change.

If you are having an audio issue, please post in the Sound section of the forum. Give details about the specific issue as well as how Mint sees your hardware as explained in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help!. Make sure to also check the release notes for the version of Mint you are using for any tips on Sound issues. I believe they indicate to install pavucontrol which has more options for troubleshooting.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Allewyn2 »

If you are having an audio issue, please post in the Sound section of the forum.
I found the help I needed over there, thanks.
sudo apt-get purge win10 && sudo apt-get install Happiness
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Allewyn2 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:22 pm
If you are having an audio issue, please post in the Sound section of the forum.
I found the help I needed over there, thanks.
If you consider this question as resolved, please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”