Off to a bad start with Mint Cinnamon (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
argusstuft
Level 1
Level 1

Off to a bad start with Mint Cinnamon (Solved)

Post by argusstuft »

I have made a bootable USB drive with Mint Cinnamon 1.93 installed that will not allow me to get past the home page before locking up and leaving the only alternative of powering off the computer. I came to this stage after trying twice before with Cinnamon 2.0, formatting the drive each time before starting over, and getting the same result. Reading here on the forum there was a suggestion that Nvidea drivers can affect the startup and it’s worth trying an earlier version of Mint to see if that works? In my case the answer is no!
Should I go back even further with Cinnamon or try something else entirely? Hopefully someone has already had this problem and had it solved?

My computer specs are:- Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A-D3P
AMD FX 8120 8 core 3.10GHZ
Nvidea Gforce GTX650
16Gb Ram.
Win 10 Home.
Argus.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Off to a bad start with Mint Cinnamon

Post by Pjotr »

Try a bootable USB stick with the Edge iso of Mint 20.2:
http://mirror.cs.jmu.edu/pub/linuxmint/ ... t-edge.iso
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
argusstuft
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argusstuft »

Thanks for your reply but sorry to say your suggestion didn't work! I am using Pendrivelinux's tool to make the USB stick bootable and guess that it must be ok as booting to the home page would suggest it is? Would there be a better option?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

argusstuft wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm Thanks for your reply but sorry to say your suggestion didn't work! I am using Pendrivelinux's tool to make the USB stick bootable and guess that it must be ok as booting to the home page would suggest it is? Would there be a better option?
If you're creating the Linux Mint installation media from within being booted from a Windows computer, I've never had a single problem from using Unetbootin

https://unetbootin.github.io/ obviously click the Windows download option if you're booted to Windows. It's an .exe but you can run it straight ( kind of the ease of use of an appimage file is in Linux world). I've used Unetbootin for at least 9 years and it has never failed me

format the thumb drive to fat32, then use Unetbootin to load that Linux Mint .iso file into it to make it bootable.

=== but if you're doing it from within another Linux based PC... that Usb Image writer program that is already installed OOTB on many distros has yet to fail me either.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Poster will also want to specify what he or she means by "home page". A home page is a page on the web that a web browser visits on its startup and/or after pressing a "home button" somewhere. An OS is not a browser; does not have a home page.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

rene makes a valid point here. On an inbetween note though with
I have made a bootable USB drive with Mint Cinnamon 1.93 installed that will not allow me to get past the home page before locking up

argusstuft.... I wonder if you meant your desktop and not a home page to whatever internet browser you normally use ( usually Firefox is the only one installed by default OOTB).
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

There are a number of "multiboot" usb creators that definitely do not work correctly for Mint. I'm not sure whether pendrivelinux is one or not.

I've seen numerous users talk about using Ventoy(a multiboot setup) and it works.

Aside from multiboot creators, Unetbootin as motoryzen mentions, and Etcher as mentioned in the Official Installation Guide, they work without a question.

There is a difference between these multiboot creators, that have to use some more complex specialty booting scenario to start the iso image, and simply imaging the iso directly, which should always work without issues.
argusstuft
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argusstuft »

Apologies for the incorrect use of "homepage" when I do mean desktop! Thank you rene! Also the comments of other posters are all welcome, I'm 75yrs of age and this is a learning curve for me. And I will try using Unetbootin and see if that gets the right result.
argusstuft
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argusstuft »

I'm sorry to have to report that there has been no complete success using Unetbootin to make my USB stick bootable with Linux Mint. While some minor changes to the lead-up like seeing the Linux Mint logo appear on the screen before desktop appears that's about it! Once desktop happens no movement of the cursor can take place and power-off is the only way to leave. It's beginning the smell like my system has a basic fault that needs to sought out and fixed?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Have you tried using using a different USB port to plug the stick into? I'm not expecting it to help, but it's worth a shot.
argusstuft
Level 1
Level 1

Post by argusstuft »

Changeing USB ports has been tried but thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried downloading and using Etcher and for my trouble got a whole lot of crap and other software thrust at me as well as having AVG Browser installed without my consent. Won't be bothering with Etcher again!!!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You could try rufus to burn the iso:
viewtopic.php?p=2071766#p2071766
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I'm sorry to have to report that there has been no complete success using Unetbootin to make my USB stick bootable with Linux Mint
Oddly, and I don't know why this is..at least from my experience, Unetbootin for the Linux version ..using it from within a Linux distro has never worked for me, but the Windows version from within Windows to create a bootable Linux Mint installation media has always worked. Yes....I agree it is weird and I have yet to figure it out.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

I was curious so I checked, on a Win10 box. And just to mention it, we avoid clicking a search engine result when it says "ad" next to it.

But I typed etcher, and ended up at https://www.balena.io/etcher/ when I skipped the first 2 results that were ads, and the install was fine, clean, no alternate software. But I see some softonic link, and another one, -minefields for sure. We only trust the originator of some software and will go out of our way to simply go directly to the originators site, -because there's too many snake oil dealers out there.

my apologies for not throwing the link up directly at first. :shock:
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

zcot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 pm I was curious so I checked, on a Win10 box. And just to mention it, we avoid clicking a search engine result when it says "ad" next to it.

But I typed etcher, and ended up at https://www.balena.io/etcher/ when I skipped the first 2 results that were ads, and the install was fine, clean, no alternate software. But I see some softonic link, and another one, -minefields for sure. We only trust the originator of some software and will go out of our way to simply go directly to the originators site, -because there's too many snake oil dealers out there.

my apologies for not throwing the link up directly at first. :shock:
Na.you're cool :) , and I'd follow the same cautious mentality also if I was in your shoes.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

What about the Usb Image Writer in the Menu? It's always worked for me.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

sleeper12 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:18 pm What about the Usb Image Writer in the Menu? It's always worked for me.
but if you're doing it from within another Linux based PC... that Usb Image writer program that is already installed OOTB on many distros has yet to fail me either.
I already mentioned that earlier :mrgreen: 8)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:19 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:18 pm What about the Usb Image Writer in the Menu? It's always worked for me.
but if you're doing it from within another Linux based PC... that Usb Image writer program that is already installed OOTB on many distros has yet to fail me either.
I already mentioned that earlier :mrgreen: 8)
Ok, I missed it, great minds think alike. :roll: :lol:
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonestar144 »

Could be a hardware issue or a bad download of the iso. Re-download the iso and verify the checksums. I know this has been mentioned, but try another usb creator. I have recently started using Ventoy and it has worked perfectly on linux and windows 10. Depending on how old your hardware is, might have to try a less intensive Mint DE, like Mate or XFCE. I personally run XFCE and it works on a 20 yr old pc.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

It's hard to say for sure without the info, but Argus left some hardware info in the first post. Just doing a basic search AT THE OLDEST that could be like 2015 hardware, but might be v2 or more and be a good candidate for the edge iso as already mentioned.

The Nvidia card seems like a good reason to point to the Release Notes about the "Solving freezes during the boot sequence" section, even if only for after a successful install, getting a black screen: https://linuxmint.com/rel_uma_cinnamon.php

But there's the "compatibility mode" as well, to start the live session installer media with.

Return to “Beginner Questions”