[solved] I deleted /boot, need help restoring

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

[solved] I deleted /boot, need help restoring

Post by RedWagon »

While installing Moblin on my netbook I forgot that I had setup a separate /boot partition for Linux Mint and I deleted it. When I went to setup grub to boot into Mint also, I noticed that the symbolic links in root for vmlinuz and initrd.img were broken and that /boot was completely empty. How can I restore /boot? I'm pretty good with the command line and am willing to do a lot to restore this installation. It is my testbed for all my computer science classes, so a lot of work has gone into it that I'd rather not repeat.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: I deleted /boot, need help restoring

Post by RedWagon »

I tried copying the /boot directory from my desktop but it didn't work because my desktop is 64 bit. I then booted a Live USB and copied the /boot directory from there, but vmlinuz is missing. Any suggestions will be helpful.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

I don't suppose you have an image backup? If not, I see no way of getting /boot back other than re-installing. I suppose I could tar it up for you but then you would have my grub file which you would have to reconfigure or reload grub. If you made any kernel changes they would be gone too.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

flyonthewall_5 wrote:try downloading super grub disk iso and burn to a cd. http://prdownload.berlios.de/supergrub/ ... 0.9799.iso
Yes fine, that will restore grub but it will not restore the Linux kernels in /boot.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I found vmlinuz in /cdrom/boot/ on the live CD, but it still complained about the CPU architecture. So I just freed up some space, installed Mint, copied over the new /boot, deleted the new installation, re-expanded my partitions, reinstalled grub and now everything's fine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”