How do I install NORD? instructions dont work??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1bit
Level 1
Level 1

How do I install NORD? instructions dont work??

Post by 1bit »

Hi

I am a Linux NOOB somewhat and have followed Nords advice for installing NORD onto MINT, however, its instructions are somewhat NOT for NOOBS cos where it says {/PATH-TO/} I'm putting in {/desktop/} where I have put the downloaded DEB file (as per instructions) and its saying:

someone@HAL-LIN:~$ sudo apt-get install {/desktop/}nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb
[sudo] password for someone:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package {/desktop

INSTRUCTIONS - https://nordvpn.com/download/linux/#ins ... structions

can anyone please help, I'm wanting to be rid of windows

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I install NORD? instructions dont work??

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think they assume you know to not put in the square brackets, but you don't need CLI to install .debs anyway. I haven't in ages.

The main thing with these types of installs from outside the tested Mint/Ubuntu repos is that you need to read the messages given, and if the install process wants to replace an existing program/dependency, STOP.

What I do is just open the folder containing the .deb file in the file manager. Then right click the deb and a popup menu will come up and there will be something like "install with gdebi" or something like that. Select that and read the messages.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
1bit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1bit »

I've tried several ways and even clicking on the deb file just says ITS ALREADY INSTALLED or something? (ive seen a video to that and doe NOT show the same INSTALL or OPEN option like his did in Ubuntu - I dunno exactly what. I cant say cos im on Windows PC now cos I got sick to my guts of hours of trying to get 1 program to work on Linux

seems i may have it installed and screwed it somehow, the stupid thing is in the instructions is the FAQs at the bottom and the first one is HOW TO INSTALL NORD ON LINUX on the very bottom of the page that already tells you the instructions?????? and they are different!!!!!!

HELP!

Thanks
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Assuming you must install that program via terminal commands......I wonder if it matters if you do or don't perform ..ALL of those terminal commands from within the same folder/directory where you downloading the .debi file of Step 1 of that link.

I've seen a few situations where this DOES matter. *shrugs* But I found this when I visited the link you provided and clicked on " Help center" link towards the bottom https://support.nordvpn.com/

And the pop up window appeared showing step one as :

Code: Select all

sudo sh <(curl -sSf https://downloads.nordcdn.com/apps/linux/install.sh)
That's assuming you've installed curl and if you don't have it ....simply do

sudo apt install curl -y
, then run that "sh < etcetc " command I just posted above this line.

Try this method and let us know. Me Personally..I already have a solid VPN set up and don't wish to risk messing mine up with installing another one.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

The instructions do work, I've installed nordvpn several times when I've distrohopped. Bear in mind the instructions given are for the command line interface and loads the appropriate support and background services for the program to work. Don't forget that unless you use the suggested command given in the installation instructions that you must use sudo on the cli. So you would use the command sudo nordvpn login to load your credentials and sudo nordvpn set technology NordLynx to take advantage of the quicker technology available and sudo nordvpn connect to connect to their servers.

If your system is telling you the program is installed but not running, you may(?) need to enable and start the service as follows - sudo systemctl enable nordvpn.service and sudo systemctl start nordvpn.service. I wonder whether you have the nordvpn.service enabled and started?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

1bit wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am someone@HAL-LIN:~$ sudo apt-get install {/desktop/}nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb
E: Unable to locate package {/desktop
That {} stuff was a pretty poor way to describe the path.

Do this (IF you put the .deb file in your Downloads directory):

$ cd Downloads
...or if not in Downloads, cd /where/you/put/the/deb-file
If you don't know where you downloaded it, download it again and pay attention.

Make sure the file is there:

ls *.deb
Then

sudo apt-get install nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb
Then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nordvpn
Edit: their instructions did NOT work for me:
(copy the commands without the $)

(download the file to /mnt/DATA/download/temp), then

cd /mnt/DATA/download/temp
$ ls *.deb
(returns "nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb")

$ sudo apt-get install nord*deb
[sudo] password for whatever: 
Building dependency tree       
E: Unable to locate package nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb'

This worked (replace apt-get install with dpkg -i) :

$ sudo dpkg -i nord*deb  
$ sudo apt-get update
(Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease ...etc)

$ sudo apt-get install nordvpn
Building dependency tree       
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nordvpn
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 14.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 43.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
NordVPN for Linux successfully installed!
...more...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

In fact I just reloaded Debian on to my Thinkpad T430 and had to install Nord Vpn. Took less than 2 minutes, but I think the OP is struggling because he is not using the same set of instructions that I am!

These are the ones which I use and following them step-by-step fully works in my experience (just proved it to myself).

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivit ... x-Mint.htm

These DEFINITELY work. Enjoy!!

ps don't forget to follow the nordvpn hint shown on the page and use the following command to avoid having to put sudo in front of the nordvpn commands all the while

sudo usermod -aG nordvpn $USER
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Hi Dave 1953,
It's much simpler than almost all of the the above replies. I have bin a NordVPNer for over 3 years.
They have a habit of regularly changing their instructions so what I do is go to their website, login and then request a hooman in CHAT.
It is all done in terminal code. Keep the chat open while you're doing it as it's easy to ask while you're doing it.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

It's all good. Whatever works for you and for anyone else is great. Amazing how there is even a choice of approach to achieve the same goal. That's three different methods so far........
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Wonder how the op got on? Perhaps busy with work or other commitments so not had time to sort yet.

Return to “Beginner Questions”