SOlved;;text files how to open without clicking on display?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frybyte
Level 1
Level 1

SOlved;;text files how to open without clicking on display?

Post by frybyte »

Hello- both suggestions worked I think, As for the 'weird' answer that box was checked by default, I didn't look at it at all when doing the clean install.
thank you all.
j

I have one 'important' text file on my desktop (current Mint 20+) when I click to open it I get a box that asks me if I want to do a number of different things but really when I click on that all I want is it to open in 'display'....how to make that the default?

Also I once heard there was a way to adjust the width of the slider window bar? please remind me where that setting is I can no longer find it.

Thanks
Jay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: text files how to open without clicking on display?

Post by rickNS »

frybyte wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:17 pm when I click to open it I get a box that asks me if I want to do a number of different things but really when I click on that all I want is it to open in 'display'....how to make that the default?
You mean this pop-up box.
ksnip210926-1609.png
You can get rid of that by;
1, right click the file, select properties.
2, click the permissions tab.
3, remove the check mark from in front of "Allow executing file as program.
close,
Done.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
ErnestLaughway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ErnestLaughway »

It's weird! How thi file was marked for execution? Did you do it by accident and you forgot it?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Also I once heard there was a way to adjust the width of the slider window bar? please remind me where that setting is I can no longer find it.
None of these look like right to me, but maybe they will work for you:
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=355341
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=265533
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=166000

Return to “Beginner Questions”