[SOLVED] How to change label of a partition?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
czgu
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to change label of a partition?

Post by czgu »

I've moved Linux Mint 20.2 to a bigger drive and created a partition using remaining spaces. In nemo, I can see the partition named "132 GB Volume". So I started Gparted and set name to "Data Drive". But in nemo, it didn't change. I have an old 32-bit laptop, installed Linux Mint 18. It has no this problem. So I compared two PCs and found that in Linux Mint 18, Gparted displayed "Label" instead of "Name". How can I change partition label in Linux Mint 20.2? Gparted doesn't have this option. In Linux Mint 20.2, if I use whole drive as a data drive, Gparted will have Label option.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to to change label of a partition?

Post by djph »

Is the "132 GB Volume" the currently mounted root partition?
czgu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]How to to change label of a partition?

Post by czgu »

OK I right click on the partition in Gparted, and select Label File System. I can add/edit label of partition there.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

czgu wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 pm OK I right click on the partition in Gparted, and select Label File System. I can add/edit label of partition there.
Thank you for posting your solution! I was also needing to do this.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
SuperJoker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SuperJoker »

It can be done with disks too.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

SuperJoker wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:13 pm It can be done with disks too.
I've not seen that option, care to elaborate how you do that ?
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Beginner Questions”