[SOLVED] Need help deleting partitions to create space

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need help deleting partitions to create space

Post by bachcole »

Yeah, I knew that I would probably have to contact the LM20 who sent me this stick.

How do I tell which one will be difficult and which one will be easy before I buy it?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

There are many factors which go into making a computer purchase, so I do not make recommendations. There is a list of Ubuntu certified hardware that may give you an idea of models more likely to work.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

I'm still alive. Two nights ago I was in pain in every muscle in my body. Other than that it was a piece of cake.

Is there a LinuxScript, a website scripting language that would embed into HTML like JavaScript.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bachcole wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:10 amI'm still alive. Two nights ago I was in pain in every muscle in my body. Other than that it was a piece of cake.
Good to hear you are feeling better.
bachcole wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:10 amIs there a LinuxScript, a website scripting language that would embed into HTML like JavaScript.
Is that related to this topic (of getting Mint 20 installed)? If not, please create a new topic for that question. That will give it more visibility on the forum and keep separate topics in separate threads.
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

I got a response from the USB stick for running and installing Linux:

Customer Support <support@linuxbuilder.com>
Sun 10/17/2021 5:13 PM
Hello, it is possible the USB is the issue. Have you tried to run boot repair from the USB? The BIOS settings need to be correct to boot from the USB successfully.

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 11:23 AM POWR <no-reply@powr.io> wrote:

Support request
Email Address rogerbird2@hotmail.com
Amazon Order # 111-2703905-2578634
Linux Operating System You Are Trying To Setup Linux Mint
Current Operating System (Windows 7, Windows 10, Linux, etc.) I used to have Linux Mint 19.1. Now I have nothing.
Computer Manufacturer (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc.) GigaByte.
Issues You Are Having I try to install, and I am told that the installation crashed. I have been working on this for about a week. The helps at Linux Mint have been helping me. Finally they suggest that the USB stick that you sent me might be the problem.
Submission Source: https://www.linuxbuilder.com/pages/support
Locale US

I don't know what this means: "Have you tried to run boot repair from the USB? The BIOS settings need to be correct to boot from the USB successfully." I assumed that they would just send me another stick. I will ask them to do that as soon as I submit this to you.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bachcole wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:11 pm
Customer Support <support@linuxbuilder.com>
Sun 10/17/2021 5:13 PM
Hello, it is possible the USB is the issue. Have you tried to run boot repair from the USB? The BIOS settings need to be correct to boot from the USB successfully.
Your BIOS settings are correct. You have been booting successfully from the USB. That is how you are able to get into the live session and do tasks in the live session.

The installer is crashing in the middle of the installation process (after it has already started).

My understanding of boot repair is it is for fixing grub and the related boot issues on an install. I have no idea how one might use it to fix the install usb. :?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you can't boot the USB stick there is no way you can run boot-repair. Agree with SMG, if you could boot the USB stick before and now you can't the usb stick is probably defective.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:00 am If you can't boot the USB stick there is no way you can run boot-repair. Agree with SMG, if you could boot the USB stick before and now you can't the usb stick is probably defective.
He is able to boot the usb stick. It's just that now his live sessions have started crashing (n the middle of the live session) in addition to the install getting stuck in the middle and not completing.

Is there a way boot repair might fix that? :?
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

I just ordered a new stick scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The person at the company preferred to issue me a refund and have me reorder. He/She also suggested that I watch a video on YouTube about installing Linux, which I will do.
bachcole
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bachcole »

I want you 'guys' to be the first to know that the problem was the first Linux Mint 20 USB install stick. I got a new one and was able to install to my 314 GiB drive with no problem (other than falling asleep) whatsoever. I did not install to my 500 GiB drive because it was messy. I still have about 305 GiBs left, so I will have months to figure out that larger drive.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Congratulations!!
Glad you are up & running.

It sometimes takes a lot of work to spot the obvious, but you have had a master class in 'How to install Linux Mint'... :D
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Great to hear you are up and running and had the normal easy Mint install this time. And whenever you want to clean up the bigger drive, you can come back to this topic to see all the screenshots you made of when you did it the first time. I'm sure it will all come back to you and be easy. :)

Please go to your very first post in this topic way back on the first page, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you found success!

Return to “Beginner Questions”