System Configuration Commands

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jessy_1308
Level 1
Level 1

System Configuration Commands

Post by jessy_1308 »

Can i get the list of commands for system configuration in Linux Mint? Like commands that is used to change the system example the date, access right control and all those related.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Re: System Configuration Commands

Post by vimes666 »

Here are some: https://www.binarytides.com/linux-comma ... ware-info/
Here in the forum we use inxi a lot.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
jessy_1308
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jessy_1308 »

I mean the commands to configure the system like changing the time, user login details and others that could be changed as well.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Menu - System Settings?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

jessy_1308 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 am I mean the commands to configure the system like changing the time, user login details and others that could be changed as well.
Honestly most Mint users use the graphical interface for things like that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

jessy_1308 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:54 am I mean the commands to configure the system like changing the time, user login details and others that could be changed as well.
You may find such a thing won't probably work because there are too many infos you won't ever need and you won't be willing to spend time to read them.
If Moem's advice doesn't suit you because you want to include these commands in a script for example, perform a search on the web e.g. "linux mint change time command line" and see what's being suggested. If nothing fits, enhance the search by replacing mint with "ubuntu" if you use the standard version and with "debian" if you use LMDE.
Create a database of all the commands that match your needs (LO Writer with title hierarchy is a nice tool to do this kind of job because it's easy to build an index from it, even if a hierarchy organizer like Cherry Tree suits better for me).
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
jessy_1308
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jessy_1308 »

Ya but im doing a project and it does not allow me to use the GUI, i have to use the terminal to change those settings. Or do any one of you know what else that can be changed other than settings? Then i could search the commands to change it. The topic is system configuration by the way
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

jessy_1308 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:57 am Ya but im doing a project and it does not allow me to use the GUI...
So in other words you want help with your homework.

Here's a list of free downloadable Linux books:

https://itsfoss.com/learn-linux-for-free/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

jessy_1308 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:57 am Ya but im doing a project and it does not allow me to use the GUI, i have to use the terminal to change those settings. Or do any one of you know what else that can be changed other than settings? Then i could search the commands to change it. The topic is system configuration by the way
I get the point. You should investigate the command gsettings first from the manual, then on the web. Can't help more because you didn't mention your DE (Cinnamon, Mate or XFCE). However, as an illustration giving some ground to my purpose :

Code: Select all

gsettings list-recursively org.cinnamon.sounds
will give you the output of the sound properties in a Cinnamon DE.
Any of these properties can be set in CLI with a "simple" gsettings set if you know what you're doing.

If you're "cinnamoned", the cinnamon-settings command as explained here by karlchen could also provide some help :
viewtopic.php?t=174985
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

time,

man timedatectl
user,

man useradd

man usermod
look at pages like; https://www.guru99.com/linux-commands-cheat-sheet.html
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200

Return to “Beginner Questions”