[SOLVED] Using Xfe as file manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Using Xfe as file manager

Post by Allewyn2 »

Hi glad to be here! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions
Just getting started and wonder if the Xfe file manager will work on Mint 20.2 Cinnamon? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sudo apt-get purge win10 && sudo apt-get install Happiness
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [] Using Xfe as file manager

Post by br1anstorm »

I wonder - are you referring to Xfe - which I had never heard of, but which Wikipedia says is a file manager "for the X Window System for Unix and Unix-like operating systems"? If so I don't know whether it would work with Mint, but others might comment.

Or did you mean to refer to XFCE..... which is a "Desktop Environment" (ie a whole package of software which determines how your screen looks and your system operates)? XFCE is a lighter-weight alternative to the Cinnamon DE - it has fewer visual effects and runs better on less powerful or older computers.

Most Linux distros offer a choice of DEs. Different DE's use different file managers. Cinnamon uses Nemo. XFCE uses Thunar. Another DE, MATE, uses the Caja file manager.... and so on. Each file manager does basically the same job, but each looks and behaves slightly differently (others with more expertise can explain this in more detail).

Logically each DE comes as a package in which the various elements are all compatible and work together. It may be possible to substitute one file manager for another - but my guess is that such an attempt would cause more problems than it solves.

If you don't like the way the Cinnamon file manager (Nemo) works you might care to explain why. If there is an issue, the solution might be to install Mint's XFCE version instead of Mint Cinnamon. But that will change more than just the file manager....
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Allewyn2.
Allewyn2 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:21 pmJust getting started and wonder if the Xfe file manager will work on Mint 20.2 Cinnamon? Thanks
Here on LM 19.3 Cinnamon, I use the file-manager xfe 1.42. As I do not have LM 20.2, I cannot tell whether xfe is still available through the Ubuntu 20.04 repos.
You might launch Synaptic package manager and check whether xfe is available from the default software repositories.
You can also use the following terminal command in order to check whether it is available or not: apt-cache policy 'xfe*'
Provided it is, install it and try it. Installation should by possible via Software Manager, Synaptic Package Manager or the apt-get commandline.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Allewyn2 »

@br1anstorm:
"I wonder - are you referring to Xfe - which I had never heard of, but which Wikipedia says is a file manager "for the X Window System for Unix and Unix-like operating systems"? If so I don't know whether it would work with Mint, but others might comment.
Or did you mean to refer to XFCE....."
I am indeed referring to the file manager.
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Allewyn2 »

@karlchen::
xfe.png
I think maybe it's not installed but available? Still learning...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Allewyn2.

You understand your own screenshot correctly. :)
File-manager xfe has not been installed on your system (yet). The "Cadidate:" lines tell you that it is available and which version: 1.43.2
So you can go ahead and install it.

If you use Synaptic Package Manager, then you only have to select the software package named xfe for installation. Synaptic should offer to install all 3 packages, which you see in your screenshot, because they are dependencies of xfe.

xfe should also be available in Software Manager. Selecting it for installation in Software Manager should have the same result (of course) as using Synaptic to install it.
Tried to locate xfe in Software Manager here by launching Software Manager and entering xfe in the little search box in the upper right hand corner. Took little time and the 3 mentioned packages were displayed. (The 4th one is unrelated to the file-manager xfe.)

Either of the 2 ways, Synaptic or Software Manager, should work and install the same 3 packages (plus a small number of further dependent packages): xfe, xfe-i18n, xfe-themes.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Note: Prefer the "Xfe" available in the Linux Mint repository, even if it is not the latest version. The version available on the developer's website has problems. I don't know if they are fixed yet.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

xfe 1.42 is the repo version for Mint 19.x (based on Ubuntu 18.04) from the official Ubuntu repos.
xfe 1.43 is the repo version for Mint 20.x (based on Ubuntu 20.04) from the official Ubuntu repos.
Hence, so far no-one had recommended downloading from the author's site. I once tried and reverted, because it did not have the matching (German) language file. :wink:
Lifeline
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Allewyn2 »

Thank you very much! :P
(hours later) I followed your advice and it's running great. And I think I love it!
Except I can't match it's colors to ny theme I have. Oh well, function right? LOL
Last edited by Allewyn2 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Using Xfe as file manager

Post by Allewyn2 »

@richardogroetaers:
Note: Prefer the "Xfe" available in the Linux Mint repository,
Thanks that's the direction I chose :)
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Allewyn2 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 pm Except I can't match it's colors to ny theme I have. Oh well, function right? LOL
Download all the Xfe packages and play with the themes.
Attachments
Captura de tela_2021-10-18_01-31-28.png

Return to “Beginner Questions”