[SOLVED] Can't print to HP LaserJet Pro M15w

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Martin1001
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Can't print to HP LaserJet Pro M15w

Post by Martin1001 »

I have an HP LaserJet Pro M15w. I'm trying to print from my laptop. My daughter, from her smartphone, has no problems printing to this LaserJet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edited: I've solved this problem. I went into Software Manager, discovered
Printer-driver-postscript-hp
installed it,
went into System Settings>Printers and added the Network Printer>HP LaserJet,
and nothing else was needed, it simply worked.
The problem that this solved is left below in case anyone else might have similar difficulties.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Some weeks ago I downloaded hplip-3.21.8.run, and eventually got a printout. But since then no output. As there had been two references to HP printers, and neither worked, I tried the following:

Both references to HP printers were removed from System Setting>Printers.
Everything was deleted within the Downloads folder.

Then, via
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... -printing/
I got to
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/
downloaded
hplip-3.21.8.run
and then, to open it, clicked on hplip-3.21.8.run.
It took 31 minutes to open, then reported
"There was a problem opening the file /home/.../hplip-3.21.8.run. The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file, you could corrupt this document. You can also choose another character coding and try again." Which, being totally incomprehensible, I clicked Cancel (the other options being Retry and Edit Anyway).

Any suggestions on how to get the printer working from my laptop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon. 15.6 GiB. 1001.3 GB. Lenovo Thinkpad.
Idasdotta
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Can't print to HP LaserJet Pro M15w

Post by Idasdotta »

Thank you for the post - I followed your steps but the same thing happens - after the last step in your solved summary, I printed a test page and in the Printer Properties/Printer State: Idle - Print job canceled at printer appears.
Can you help? Thank you.
Martin1001
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Can't print to HP LaserJet Pro M15w

Post by Martin1001 »

Sadly I've been getting that too recently. Sometimes it prints, sometimes not. I'm told that if one phones HP, they are very helpful in guiding one to a solution. I haven't bothered to try this yet, but if you do, and get a solution, please post here!
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon. 15.6 GiB. 1001.3 GB. Lenovo Thinkpad.

Return to “Beginner Questions”