[SOLVED] Installing files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Installing files

Post by Allewyn2 »

Ok, new and ran into problem while trying to install new programs. I wanted to install one to make panels transparent, the other to run an analog clock. I extracted them to their own folders (as seen in following pic) then realized I don't know what to do next! :) How do I install files that I unzipped??
new_programs.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sudo apt-get purge win10 && sudo apt-get install Happiness
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [] Installing files

Post by mikeflan »

Hi. The best way to install new programs is from the Software Manager or apt. The next best way is to obtain a deb file, make it executable, and double click the deb file. Another way is from zipped gz files. After extraction they sometimes have a ReadMe file in them explaining what to do.

If you have more trouble you should show us what you downloaded and where you obtained it from.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It looks like what you downloaded are an extension and a desklet. Are you on Cinnamon? I hope so because that is what these applications are for.
I recently helped someone get an applet of their choice installed, see here: viewtopic.php?p=2080529#p2080529
For installing extensions, the process is the same, except you open the Extensions window, not the Applets window.
For installing desklets, the process is the same, except you open the Desklets window, not the Applets or Extensions window. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Downloaded programs are not installed the same way as packages. There are essentially three kinds: executable (no install necessary); to be installed with its own install procedure; to be compiled and installed.

In all the cases you should follow instructions available on their web site, or in a readme file included in the uncompressed directory.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

OK, I searched "linux transparent-panels@ge" and got this: https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/e ... ns/view/81

Is that what you're talking about? If not this post is irrelevant, don't bother with the rest.

That spice is only available in source that you have to build and compile.. If you click the "download from here" bit it says that spice is not available.

In other words, it looks like it's not well maintained and I don't think I'd want it myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:37 am That spice is only available in source that you have to build and compile..
Not so, it can be installed through the Extensions window.

extensions.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Allewyn2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Allewyn2 »

Thanks everyone. I'll make an educated decision now. :?:
@Hoser Bob: yeah that's the one. He's the only guy that says "Transparentize" :lol:
sudo apt-get purge win10 && sudo apt-get install Happiness

Return to “Beginner Questions”