Display issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Faz32_5
Level 1
Level 1

Display issues

Post by Faz32_5 »

Hi guys, normally I use a dual screen setup(monitor and laptop screen), however my 5 year old nephew broke my laptop screen. I've looked for replacement screens online, but for my laptop there really expensive. I have a spare monitor and was wondering if theres a way to connect it to my laptop. I've seen online that you can get a usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter but there's also fairly expensive and don't always work with linux apparently.

Does any one have any cheaper solutions. BTW I only want to use one of the monitors as a primary (ie mirror the broken laptop screen) and the other as an extended display. I don't have an interest in a triple monitor setup. Also my laptop has a single hdmi port(no vga).

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Display issues

Post by mikeflan »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Just plug the external monitor into the HDMI port. Then Menu - Display and check "Mirror displays". If you don't like the resolutions, then uncheck and set the external as primary.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Faz32_5 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:27 am Hi guys, normally I use a dual screen setup(monitor and laptop screen), however my 5 year old nephew broke my laptop screen. I've looked for replacement screens online, but for my laptop there really expensive. I have a spare monitor and was wondering if theres a way to connect it to my laptop. I've seen online that you can get a usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter but there's also fairly expensive and don't always work with linux apparently.
Welcome to the forum, Faz32_5.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware and would give us an idea of what ports are available on it and what options you may have to connect a second external monitor.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

In addition to SMG's request, what would be *really* helpful is a little information regarding your hardware?

Based on your request, we can assume that you have a spare USB port on your laptop. Is it a type "A" (rectangular) or a type "C" (smaller with rounded corners)? Also, what type of connectors do you have for both your monitors, and how do you have the first one connected? Common options are VGA (15-pin D socket), HDMI, ThunderBolt, and Display Port.

Since you have 1 monitor already hooked up, we'll need to ensure that you whatever type of adapter you get will have an open connection in your laptop *and* will actually connect to your monitor.

USB adapters will probably be your best bet, if you need HDMI or VGA output. They really aren't that expensive - - I've found several of each type on Amazon for less than $20 - - but you do need to read the description to make sure they don't say "Windows only". Most devices that support XP will work with linux, as will many that are Windows 7 compatible. You'll also have wider compatibility using USB 2 over USB 3, unless it specifically indicates linux support. HDMI VGA

(both sample links are merely examples - I cannot guarantee they'll work in linux or on your laptop)

Return to “Beginner Questions”