(On hold) My github elephant

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

(On hold) My github elephant

Post by jstich »

Hello all! I've been on Mint for about 2 years now and have made some progress. I've been able to get steam and my games to run on Mint now.My problem is my rx 570 8 GB card runs very hot.So much so that when playing on Windows I have it so the fans can be cranked up while I play games to keep the card as cool as possible.
Now that I can get my games to play on Mint I need to at least turn the fans on high.After many hours trying to de cipher the git hub sites for Mango HUD and I have 2 files on my desktop regarding the app.I also managed to get phoronix test suite folder on my desktop. I have tried for hours to get them to run with no success. I manage to extract them but then don't know how to get it running.Last week I managed to get MangoHUD installed via CLI but there was no program/app entry for it.I think I'm in Windows mode and can't make any sense of how to start these programs/apps. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: My github elephant

Post by spamegg »

Are you talking about this? https://github.com/flightlessmango/MangoHud

The instruction on that page say the following:

Code: Select all

INSTALLATION

Ubuntu

User of Ubuntu 20.04 or newer can install a NVML enabled version of MangoHud from the MangoHud PPA maintained by Martin Wimpress:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/mangohud
sudo apt update
sudo apt install mangohud

NORMAL USAGE

To enable the MangoHud overlay layer for Vulkan and OpenGL, run :

mangohud /path/to/app

For Lutris games, go to the System options in Lutris (make sure that advanced options are enabled) and add this to the Command prefix setting:

mangohud

For Steam games, you can add this as a launch option:

mangohud %command%

Or alternatively, add MANGOHUD=1 to your shell profile (Vulkan only).
Were you able to follow these instructions or have you not tried them yet?

The "/path/to/app" would be where the binary executable for your Steam game is. You can right-click on your game, go to Manage, go to Browse Local Files to find this path:
path.png
path.png (93.22 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
I don't use Lutris so I cannot comment on that part.

For the last part I think you need to right-click your Steam game, go to Properties and go to Launch Options, and add the launch option they are asking:
launchoptions.png
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I havn't tried what you posted. Above the info you posted there is a way to download the binaries through Git hub. I went to the releases as directed and that's where I got the files ending with tar.gz. I then try to extract it but it just shows a bunch of files I don't know what to do with.Maybe if I knew how to open a terminal to open in the extracted file. I have no idea how to do that.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Maybe if I knew how to open a terminal to open in the extracted file.
Normally you just double click on the .tar.gz file and it opens in Archive Manager. Then you hit the Extract button to extract the file.
am.png
If Archive Manager is not installed you can install it from Software Manager.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

jstich wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:21 am I havn't tried what you posted. Above the info you posted there is a way to download the binaries through Git hub. I went to the releases as directed and that's where I got the files ending with tar.gz. I then try to extract it but it just shows a bunch of files I don't know what to do with.Maybe if I knew how to open a terminal to open in the extracted file. I have no idea how to do that.
You can try using the PPA they mentioned (if you trust them). That makes it easy to install (and then later uninstall). In the Terminal, one at a time, run the 3 commands (again, only if you trust them):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/mangohud
sudo apt update
sudo apt install mangohud
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I've been able to extract files but I don't know what to do with the various non descript files that result from that.
spamegg ,I did the 3 commands you listed and it did a bunch of cool activity and seemingly successfully worked but there is no entry in my programs for MangoHUD.It just returns to a regular command prompt.It says it's un packing and setting up mangohud:amd64,then it says processing triggers for man db, then back to the command prompt.I don't know where it is and how to open it.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I put both mangohud /path/to/app and MANGOHUD_1 into CLI with no results. I followed the directions to find the path through manage,browse local files and I find a bunch of files. One is listed as bin. Do I do something with that? I added mangohud to the launch options to a game and mangohud didn't show up with the game.
I don't know what /path/to/app means. What does mango %command% mean?
How do I add a command to my shell profile? I couldn't find where to put mangohud in Lutris either.Wow I'm doin bad.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

@jstich MangoHUD does not have a GUI (graphical user interface) so it won't be added to your Menu.

It says:
To enable the MangoHud overlay layer for Vulkan and OpenGL, run :

mangohud /path/to/app
I think this means that if you are running some graphical application (not necessarily a Steam game) then you can enable MangoHUD for that app. Let's say I have a game in my /home/spamegg/opt/smb directory, and the binary executable is "supermeatboy". That would be the /path/to/app they are talking about: the file path of the binary executable file that runs the game: /home/spamegg/opt/smb/supermeatboy

It says:
For Steam games, you can add this as a launch option:

mangohud %command%
Did you look at my screenshots? You right-click your game in Steam, go to Properties, and put mangohud %command% into the Launch Options textbox there.

It says:

Or alternatively, add MANGOHUD=1 to your shell profile (Vulkan only).
This is an alternative so you don't have to do it. Your shell profile is usually the file ~/.profile. This file is used to load a bunch of "environment variables" when you login. This is normally a hidden file, you can show it by pressing Ctrl+H in your file explorer:
profile.png
Then you can open that in a text editor and add that environment variable MANGOHUD=1 in that file.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I'm still confused by the path to app thing. I entered mangohud %command% in steam in the launch options for Half life 2 and mango hud didn't show up. I thought mangohud %command% was like an example not the actual thing I put into the launch options.So I did put mangohud %command% in the launch options and mango doesn't show up when the game launches.
If I add MANGOHUD=1 to my shell profile would the mangohud app always be running and visible? I'll try adding mangohud %command% to another game and see if it works.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I tried a different game with mango %command% in the launch options and it doesn't open mangohud either.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Well I did the best I could with my understanding, I suggest you ask the MangoHUD community for help. They have a Discord channel, I'm sure there are a lot of other users there just like you https://discordapp.com/invite/Gj5YmBb
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I just found out mangohud is for manjaro on Steam. I think that's why I've been having trouble. I'll do some more studying. Thanks spamegg!

Return to “Beginner Questions”