[SOLVED] Epson printer not printing from all programs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Le Sheep
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Epson printer not printing from all programs

Post by Le Sheep »

Hello all, I got a problem with printing on several computers with LM 20.1.

We bought a new Epson ET-2810 today and it works fine in some programs: Printer testpage, CUPS testpage, browsers and Libre office all work fine.
But the Image Viewer, Text Editor, GIMP and all kind of other programs do display a print job done popup, but nothing happens.

The printer is automaticly recognized on the WIFI network when turned on, with above result.

Installing the drivers from the Epson website changes nothing.
Removing the printer and redoing the installations changes nothing.
Connecting it via the usb changes nothing

Some help is appreciated :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Epson printer not printing from all programs

Post by Da Londo »

Check the printers firmware, something similar happened here with a DELL printer. Had to install new firmware trough a VirtualBox Win10 install.
aka Jim on HexChat
Le Sheep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Le Sheep »

Checked the updater (on a Win10 laptop) and no firmware update, it's brand new here too, came out this month
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

This is then called a preemie. But fortunately the manufacturer has your money. After all.
Le Sheep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Le Sheep »

I just do not get why it works fine in certain programs and not at all in others
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Le Sheep wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:30 pm I just do not get why it works fine in certain programs and not at all in others
The Epson ET-2810 appears to have been on the market since at least 2019. Having it automaticlly discovered and set up is what would be expected when it is put on the network. Let's have some info:

Code: Select all

avahi-browse _ipp._tcp

avahi-browse _uscan._tcp

driverless
--
Brian.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Have you installed imagescan? if not you can get it from here. Extract the file to a folder, then open the Core folder and run the file.
https://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Da Londo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am Check the printers firmware, something similar happened here with a DELL printer. Had to install new firmware trough a VirtualBox Win10 install.
You don't need to do any of that the printer updates it's firmware when it's available to be installed All you have to do is select yes/no.
MSB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MSB »

I have the same printer and same problems, I found a solution with the help here viewtopic.php?f=51&t=359722 by adding a printer with CUPS

Open a browser and go to http://localhost:631/
Go to the Administration tab
Add printer
Sign in with your Linux username and password
Discovered Network Printers: EPSON ET-2810 Series (driverless) (EPSON ET-2810 Series)
If you want: On the next page I added a number behind the printer name for easy identification
Scroll down under Model: to the 'Epson ET-2700 EcoTank - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.3 (en)'
Click the Add printer button on the bottom

Once added it should work normal :D
Le Sheep
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Epson printer not printing from all programs

Post by Le Sheep »

Thank you all for your time, sorry that I was away because I was sick.

And thank you MSB that helped me out too!

So this one is solved :mrgreen:
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Le Sheep wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:15 am Thank you all for your time, sorry that I was away because I was sick.

And thank you MSB that helped me out too!

So this one is solved :mrgreen:
Glad you had success with MSB's suggestion. I would like to confirm his investigations. Please would you give the outputs of the two avahi-browse commands a asked for earlier?
--
Brian.
Le Sheep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Le Sheep »

Excuse me brian-p, I forgot to mention, but I can´t give those as they do nothing apparently. The terminal just blinks the cursor and no result, if I close the terminal it says there is still a process running. Kato181's suggestion I also skipped because that is for a scanner, and I wanted to print, so skipped to MSB's solution and called it a day.

Return to “Beginner Questions”