Try version does not have WiFi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Try version does not have WiFi

Post by chicho1704 »

Dear Forum. I would like to try mint first before installing it. I have used ubuntu for years, but it's now time for a change. I downloaded the iso image and wanted to try mint first, but the try version does not have wifi.. ubuntu includes it in its try version.. how can I solve this problem? Thanks a lot!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: TRY VERSION DOES NOT HAVE WiFi

Post by AZgl1800 »

When the Live Session is first coming UP,
you must be FAST and watch at the top right of the screen, it will briefly display that the WiFi Adapter is available, you need to click on that fast, before it disappears.

Once you do that, you should be able to surf the web from the Live Session.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Try version does not have WiFi

Post by chicho1704 »

Thank You. I will try and let you know
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if that doesn't work .. you can still click on the Network Icon in the Taskbar RHS
:)
this should display any nearby WiFi connections,
- that you can connect to .. you will need the WiFi passcode, of course.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

I tried clicking on the network icon and it showed no Wifi connections. i haven't tried to see the network icon on top of the screen as AZgl1500 suggested...
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

Well I tried to click on the WiFi Adapter, but it did not appear..
Last edited by chicho1704 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

do you know which wireless card your system has. If it worked in ubuntu it should work in Mint. if not enter this command in a terminal and post the output here.

Code: Select all

inxi -Nn
If it's broadcom or realtek you will need to add some drivers/firmware to get it to work.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

Thank You.
Here it is
  • Network:
    Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: rtl8821ce
    IF: wlo1 state: up mac: 4c:eb:bd:cc:6a:69
    Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
    IF: eno1 state: down mac: 38:22:e2:18:ed:07
It is Realtek
Which Drivers do I need to add??
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Follow the instructions in this tutorial. https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... altek.html
But I'm not sure that will work until the system is install on the Machine. Don't think you can get enough room in a Live run to actually build the driver.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

Thank You very much.. it's really difficult to get a WiFi connection on a Linux mint Live Session. Thank You very much for your help. I guess i 'll try another distro. It's way too complicated with mint. Thank You
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

chicho1704 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 pmI downloaded the iso image and wanted to try mint first, but the try version does not have wifi.. ubuntu includes it in its try version.. how can I solve this problem? Thanks a lot!
As usual, no mention of what it is being run on, laptop, desktop, what model, what age, nothing.
So, I boot a Lenovo B41 on a USB stick and there at the top right flashed WiFi available.
At the bottom of the screen, on the Panel / Task Bar, right hand end 4th icon from the right, WiFi. Click on that, enter the password and all going.
So basically of course there is WiFi on the .iso on the USB stick.

And yes, I've used WiFi on lots of laptop installations though I prefer to use a wired connection while installing.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

chicho1704 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 pm Thank You very much.. it's really difficult to get a WiFi connection on a Linux mint Live Session. Thank You very much for your help. I guess i 'll try another distro. It's way too complicated with mint. Thank You
It usually is not just that realtek wireless cards are difficult if you have an Intel or even broadcom card it can be done easily. I don't know about how Ubuntu includes the realtek firmware on their live sessions. But perhaps they do. Manjaro may also. if you were trying ubuntu 21.10 it maybe that a new kernel offers realtek but I'm not sure about that. Good luck with whatever you choose.
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

As usual, no mention of what it is being run on, laptop, desktop, what model, what age, nothing.
So, I boot a Lenovo B41 on a USB stick and there at the top right flashed WiFi available.
At the bottom of the screen, on the Panel / Task Bar, right hand end 4th icon from the right, WiFi. Click on that, enter the password and all going.
So basically of course there is WiFi on the .iso on the USB stick.

And yes, I've used WiFi on lots of laptop installations though I prefer to use a wired connection while installing.
Well I am using a hp Laptop Pavillon 15
a year old. Ubuntu 20.04.
I have been using Ubuntu for 10 years and the number of bugs on 20.04 is unbearable.. Regarding Linux mint Live Session,
I have tried to get connected the way you mention, 4th icon from the left, Click on that.. no WiFi options available. No way of adding a new WiFi connection.. This is my problem.. I will try to start a live session from a USB Stick, since I did it from a DVD. Maybe that solves the problem.. I'll keep you posted. Thank You
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

Well I tried it from a USB Stick... Still no WiFi Connections available, even though we have one.
So again, Thank You very much. I will definitely try another distro. it's a pity since mint has been recommended to me by many .
Thank You Very Much!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chicho1704 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:41 amWell I am using a hp Laptop Pavillon 15
a year old.
If the computer is only a year old, you probably should be using the Edge ISO Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit). Is that what you tried?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

when you get to the live session please go to a teminal and post the output of

Code: Select all

rfkill list
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

kc1di wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:10 am
It usually is not just that realtek wireless cards are difficult if you have an Intel or even broadcom card it can be done easily. I don't know about how Ubuntu includes the realtek firmware on their live sessions. But perhaps they do.
I have an ASUS TP500L when Mint 17 and 18 were released, both of the ISO Live Sessions would detect the WiFi card, which if IIRC, is a Broadcom.

Yet, when I did a fresh Install, the software to drive the Broadcom WiFi card was NOT included and the WiFi card was inop.

Was very frustrating that the Installer does NOT include all of the Drivers for All WiFi cards.
To me, that is a major failing.

when 19.3 came out, I had changed to a different laptop, an ASUS FX705GM and the WiFi card was provided with the correct drivers.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

If the computer is only a year old, you probably should be using the Edge ISO Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit). Is that what you tried?
I tried: Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.4 64-Bit
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chicho1704 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:03 pmI tried: Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.4 64-Bit
I do not understand what that means. There is no Cinnamon 20.4 and actually, there will never be a Cinnamon 20.4. The highest version to be made in the future will be 20.3 and then the next version will be 21.

There are two versions of Cinnamon 20.2. There is the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (64-bit) and the Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit). I am asking which one you tried.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
chicho1704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chicho1704 »

you are right..... Linux Mint 20.02 Cinnamon 64bit
Last edited by chicho1704 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”