problems installing exe files even with WINE and Lutris

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fireflame
Level 1
Level 1

problems installing exe files even with WINE and Lutris

Post by fireflame »

Hello all, I am a very new user to Linux and Linux Mint. i dabbled with it in the virtual machine, but wasn't able to learn everything about it. I got a new computer with Linux Mint installed and am trying to migrate things over there, but am running into problems installing games.

I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2, and I can't play exe files on Linux mint, even with WINE and Lutris. This is what I'm trying to play specifically, but can't. https://github.com/jorio/MightyMike.

There are also a few Itch.io games that I can't play either. I even downloaded a Linux specific one (Friday Night Funkin on Itch.io) and there wasn't even a download file. If you have any suggestions to try or are able to get some games working on your end, please let me know what you did to make it play. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: problems installing exe files even with WINE and Lutris

Post by ThaCrip »

I can't specifically comment about the game your playing but when I play (and replay) the small amount of games I use WINE/Lutris paired with... https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine ... m/releases ; which is "wine-lutris-ge-6.19-1-x86_64.tar.xz" (currently) which you extract to "~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/". Lutris should automatically use it, but if not, you can open Lutris, right click on the game you want to use and select 'Configure > Runner options > Wine version' and from here you should be able to select 'lutris-ge-6.19 etc'.

using that allows me to play a couple of games that don't work on standard Wine v6.0.1. so it's probably worth a shot on what your doing.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
fireflame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fireflame »

Are there specific Wine/Lutris settings you should use /not use or does the basic programs work fine without a bunch of repositories and stuff?

Also, Wine is not in the runners folder. Should I put it in there, and if so, where should I get that folder?
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

If you must play games then I'd stick with Windows. Wine is hit and miss at best.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
fireflame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fireflame »

I guess so. Lutris doesn't work with those programs I wanted, but it works for some
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

I had no trouble d/l the file. Depending on the directory of where you save your downloads, by defaults firefox uses /Downloads.
The name of the file is called funkin-linux.64.zip
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

fireflame wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 am Are there specific Wine/Lutris settings you should use /not use or does the basic programs work fine without a bunch of repositories and stuff?
It could vary a bit. like 'Configure Wine' can adjust the general 'Windows Version' used. it defaults to Windows 7 but sometimes you may need to use WinXP or Win10. but generally leaving it on it's default is good enough.

but like already mentioned... if your really huge into gaming, you will have to keep Windows around. Linux can be decent if you play a more limited amount of games and those games happen to work on Linux. for me... nearly all of the limited amount of games I play work on Linux. but if your always playing a bunch of newer games, then Linux is not a realistic option for you to use since many game won't work.
fireflame wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 am Also, Wine is not in the runners folder. Should I put it in there, and if so, where should I get that folder?
If you plan on using that 'GloriousEggroll' runner then you have to create it and then extract that file there.

that "`" thing just means your general Home folder (i.e. /home/USER) (where 'USER' is the name you personally are using) as you will notice if you put that into the file manager (i.e. 'Files') and press enter it will take you to the proper location. if your on Cinnamon you may need to click that 'Toggle Location Entry' icon (which is to the right of your 'user' thing) as then it will show the full path info and you can post that "~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/" (without the ") and press enter. but if that does not work it might be because of your 'wine' folder not being there. but you can get to it easy enough through... ~/.local/share/lutris/ (which this should be there and should work) ; then go to the 'runners' folder and create a 'wine' folder there.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
fireflame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fireflame »

Thanks a lot. It sucks that I have to keep Windows around if I want to play certain games

Return to “Beginner Questions”