Copying files

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Copying files

Post by gittist »

Hi,

I have a little less than 5GB of files that I would like to simply copy over to a USB stick so I can plug the USB stick into any other computer and be able to read/edit the files.

All my files are in the directory "Documents" so I did a 'copy" then went to the USB stick and did a 'paste" (Ctrl -v). The dialogue box went pretty quick but it's 20 minutes later and I don't think the files have been written to the USB. When I try to 'eject' the stick a pop up says there is an operation pending.

Is this normal?

Did I miss a step?

Is there an easier way?

I am running Linux Mint Uma and everything is up to date. The USB port is 2.0 and the stick is NTSF formated?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Copying files

Post by GELvdH »

It seems a little slow, but that is a large amount of data for NTFS. Try formatting the stick to Fat32.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

I let the system run while having supper. When I got back to the computer it was finally done. I thought NTFS was new and improved as compared to FAT 32?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

You are correct but I was just giving you an option.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I'm thinking you want NTFS format. I have a USB that is VFat32 and copying 5.5 GB of files (47,200 files) will take 2 hrs. The copy starts at 5 MB / sec, but quickly drops to 0.7 MB / sec. This USB causes me no trouble, so I like it the way it is.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

I wonder if 'copying' and 'writing' are two different evolutions? the 'copying' dialogue box closes in less than a minute. I think what is happens is that the files are copied into a buffer for download to the USB. I suspect the 'writing' to the USB takes much longer but I have no idea on how to track the progress?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

GELvdH wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:49 pm It seems a little slow, but that is a large amount of data for NTFS. Try formatting the stick to Fat32.
This complaint is pretty common on this forum with FAT32 also.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”