[Solved} Scroll bar size

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taterman
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved} Scroll bar size

Post by Taterman »

I'm a linux beginner and recently switched over (Cinnamon 20.2). I've always used Mozilla Firefox and still do with linux, but the scroll bar on the right of the screen is tiny. Plus there is no up or down arrows at the top and bottom. I searched the forum and the "tools" tab for Firefox but couldn't find an answer. Is there a way to increase the size of it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Scroll bar size

Post by RIH »

This might be worth a read for you..
viewtopic.php?t=335494
Taterman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taterman »

RIH wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 am This might be worth a read for you..
viewtopic.php?t=335494
Thank you. I typed "scroll bar" as two words, maybe that's why my search failed.
The link seems to have the solution. I don't quite understand how to follow what they posted but I'll try to figure it out. The adding codes to certain folders is confusing, but being new to linux I'll have to figure out the file system in Mint and how and where to add the text.
I'm paranoid I'll screw something up.
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

Hi, Taterman

If it's any consolation, I don't think you will need to create any files or add any text. If you are simply concerned about the narrow scrollbars in recent versions of Firefox, then you can now change that within Firefox itself by entering about:config in the address bar, then put scrollbar in the search filter and follow the instructions in ajgreeny's second post at the bottom of the linked thread.

The gtk.css solutions earlier in that thread changed the scrollbars in most apps including Firefox but a few months ago, when Firefox updated to version 89, they stopped working in Firefox. They should still work for other apps (and perhaps for changing the colour of scrollbars in Firefox) but are not so relevant for the Cinnamon version of Mint anyway. That's because I think Cinnamon (unlike MATE or Xfce) has a simple option somewhere in its settings to change scrollbar width but, again, it probably no longer works in Firefox, so the about:config solution is the way to go.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Taterman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:25 am
RIH wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 am This might be worth a read for you..
viewtopic.php?t=335494
Thank you. I typed "scroll bar" as two words, maybe that's why my search failed. ....
I never use the built in search function here, it stinks. Do a site specific search in your search engine instead ("site:forums.limuxmint.com <search string>").
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

*** edit 9 am central time 10-23-21 ****

Yes the far below addon is awesome and I'm keeping it BUT I'd DEFINITELy figured out a solultion for ya

Open firefox, in address bar type............ about:config

type in the search bar " widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size " without quotes

That in Firefox 93 by default is set to 12 ( makes raised eyebrow look at the Firefox devs. ) Set that sucker to 20 or perhaps barely slightly less and you'll find it almost precisely matches google chrome's stock aka OOTB scroll bar thickness/width

Enjoy :D Cheers.

==========

This addon below will let you customize the scroll bar's colors

Firefox 93 here on Linux Mint 20.2 cinnamon ... .->>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... crollbars/

And you can change the color of the scroll buttom and scroll bar background also. I put my scroll bar's background to a solid blow ( just move the left slider all the way down, and pick any color that stands out enough to contrast against black. I think it gives a cleaner and more modern look personally *shrugs*)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Taterman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taterman »

motoryzen wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:51 am *** edit 9 am central time 10-23-21 ****

Yes the far below addon is awesome and I'm keeping it BUT I'd DEFINITELy figured out a solultion for ya

Open firefox, in address bar type............ about:config

type in the search bar " widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size " without quotes

That in Firefox 93 by default is set to 12 ( makes raised eyebrow look at the Firefox devs. ) Set that sucker to 20 or perhaps barely slightly less and you'll find it almost precisely matches google chrome's stock aka OOTB scroll bar thickness/width
Thanks all. This worked perfectly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”