XFCE - linux mint 20.2 - how to create a firefox shortcut?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dm999

Re: XFCE - linux mint 20.2 - how to create a firefox shortcut?

Post by dm999 »

You can do it from the menu by right clicking on Firefox, here's a screenshot -
add to desktop.png
DavidMcCann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMcCann »

It depends on what you mean by shortcut! The last answer, I think, creates a desktop icon? I prefer a keyboard shortcut. Go to the keyboard configuration tool, choose the tab Application shortcuts, and add Firefox. Super (aka Windows key) with b for browser is a good choice, or with f for Firefox (which I prefer for files — Thunar).
DavidMcCann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMcCann »

I have a confession to make — I don't actually have Mint, only Debian and PCLinuxOX, although both have Xfce. The thing I'm talking about is this: https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... -shortcuts You should surely have it, or else how could you configure the keyboard? It should be in the menu under Settings Manager or the like.

PS If you do want a launcher on the desktop, then the quickest way to get it is to open the menu, navigate to the entry for Firefox or Browser, and then drag the entry and drop it on to the desktop.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linux wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:25 am hi david - yes that worked. thank you. but i think i messed it up - it created a "desktop configuration file".......for example. when i create a shortcut to a libre file, it sets up a "link to /home/blah/blah/blah".

hi dm999 - actually i need to do that too :) i don't think i have a "keyboard configuration tool" . what would be called in XFCE linux mint 20.2
Here's how i launch firefox from a key-press (number-pad 9 = Pg Up) without any desktop file(s):
xfce-firefox.jpg
Just poke thru settings to find the keyboard settings, or use the menu-search.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

linux wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 pm so a desktop config file is not the same as a link
You got it. They are different things: keyboard shortcut, shortcut or menu entry, launchers and links on desktop...

On your desktop folder can exist/create different elements. Links are only paths to a file or a folders (as in Windows). When clicking on them they will be opened by associated applications.

Hope you have it clear know so you can mark this thread as solved editing your first post (click on pencil icon on the right) and add [Solved] to the subject. Also, please,dfo the same with other threads if they are solved.
linux wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 pm everytime i restart my computer. i see an additional firefox icon my mint system tray..please see pic
Maybe it is worth you open another thread with this question or, if they are what I suppose below, post reply on this other thread. In any case you will need to explain a little bit more.

Also It don't know how you created that images. It looks like you take a screenshot insert image or edit with a tool, crop the image, take another screenshot,..So second image original was a selected area when opening Desktop folder with Thunar in list view.

You'd better take screenshot as per link I give you on this other thread or with Menu>Accessories>Screenshot
Screenshot_2021-11-25_17-06-57.png
then configure as desired and press OK to take that screenshot and save.
Screenshot_2021-11-25_17-14-44.png
Screenshot_2021-11-25_17-14-44.png (20.82 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
It does not help unless you put it on context.
Screenshot_2021-11-25_18-38-16.png
Screenshot_2021-11-25_18-38-16.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
That looks like a panel you have create or the original one you have modified. Any way, those FF icons are not system try icons (It looks like there is no system tray in that panel). Maybe they are launchers you have create doing several times Menu>Internet>FFWeb browser right click>Add to panel. If it is so you can remove them (right click on them>Remove)

Also they could be FF windows you open on starting because off doing as indicated in other thread, i. e. FF was added to start up applications and also have saved session when runnig FF. You will need to close FF Windows on shutting down to ovoid this, but it is the other thread problem still not closed. Then they are shown on that way because there is no enough space on that panel.

Please, right click on panel >Panel>Panel Preferences> Increase the length to 100% or check Automatically increase the length to see them and be sure.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

I said if they were launcher (right click on each one and remove) but add another possibility, if they where FF windows minimized.
Screenshot_2021-11-26_09-04-29.png
Screenshot_2021-11-26_09-04-29.png (19.43 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
In last case you only have to right click on each one and close.
Screenshot_2021-11-26_09-05-59.png
Screenshot_2021-11-26_09-05-59.png (25.88 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
I told you the way to be sure what they are, just enlarge the panel.

Also when right click pointing to an item you have information about that item on context menu and/or options will depend on that item. See images in detail but take into account it is LM 19,1 if notice any small diference with yours. In first image i was pointing to FF icon and first line said launcher so those three actions will be applied to that launcher (panel actions are downside) In second image those are actions you can execute with windows.

If your are in troubles because off the changes you did removing wrong item in panel as Whisker menu or system try (which it is not the panel ), you can restore panel to its default. See here.

Every time you get a problem first look for that problem in forum using search field on upper right corner., so you will find the solution by yourself most of times. Then, If not sure you can ask.

Take into account the doubts or problems you have another user would have too. Posting each one on separated thread will help another when searching. That's because I told you to close threads already solved, to help other users to find the solution to their problems. Asking every question no matter the subject is not a good idea. These snow ball threads are not useful for anybody.

I have already tell you how to take screenshots. One of the option is select an area or region (see image on last post) of what you are seeing. With the other options you can set a retard/delay so you have time to open the window you want, dislay options in menu.... only need to try and fail several times.

For my last images on this post you can first I take a screenshot of the whole desktop and then view that image and take a screenshot of the area/region you want. Also you can use image editing tools of course but not the one you were using. :wink:
squiggles3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiggles3 »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:04 am hi

i still have the 5 firefoxes in the panel..if i hit remove then it removed the panel, not the firefox icon

how are getting the close option?

i need that

i can't give you a screenshot of the my right click option bcuz when u right click on the firefox icon, and then hit print screen button, it doesn't do anything :(

this sucks. i can't even show what i'm seeing
Don't use the print screen button for this. As you know the right click context menu needs to be closed for that to work. Instead, open the screen shot application, select "Grab the whole screen" and then increase the delay to 3 seconds or so. Then click "Take screenshot". You have 3 seconds (or whatever you set it to) to move your mouse to the Firefox icon and right click. When the right click menu is open, wait for the screenshot to be taken and save the image.

Jo-con-El already described this, with screen shots too, a couple of days ago. Please make sure you are reading the help others are posting. I know it's a lot to take in all at once but we will get you there.
Bambola10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bambola10 »

Why do you create unnecessary headaches?
Install the simple, simple Plank Dock, and you'll have access not only to Firefox, but to anything else you want.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:40 am let me show you how stupid i am - i just attached the pic but its blank right?

right

so when i paste the screenshot into drawing. and then save it - it always asks me - a part of the image is selected, blah blah, do u want to save anyway?

what is it talking about?

why does linux make EVERYTHING 100x harder..i'm just copy and pasting...give me a break

copy and paste bro....linux MAKES the simplest thing complicated
You are doing it so complicated. I told you before. You don't need to insert the screenshot into anything...even you don't need to edit or manipulated it (with another tool as Pix, not drawing) as you can take a screenshot of
-Active/current window or delay to give you time to select the one you one. You can attach it directly on forums post.

-Selected area or region. It will depend on size, but small areas as before do not need to be cropped or resized with such tools as Pix>Edit options .

-Entire screen i.e the whole desktop. You can crop and/or resize with Pix or upload to imgur.com as Bambola10 did.
Bambola10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bambola10 »

когато щракна с десния бутон върху една от тези 5 икони на firefox и ако щракнете върху "премахване", това ще премахне цялата система тава....което ми причинява голяма болка, тъй като съм глупав и не правя никакви терминални неща,

толкова глупав имам само един избор и трябва да рестартирам компютъра ръчно

някакви идеи как да го премахна?

When you click on the right button "Remove", Together with the Firefox icon, you remove the system panel.To run it again with the "XFCE4-Panel" command .
Repeat this operation 5 times,and you will delete all 5 "Firefox" icons.
Bambola10
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bambola10 »

linux wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 pm so i removed it from my startup folder and no new ones have been added :) so i've gotta get rid of those 5

when i right click on one of those 5 firefox icons, and if you click "remove" it will remove the entire system tray....which causes me great pain as i'm stupid and don't do any terminal stuff

so stupid me only has one choice and has to restart the pc manually

any ideas how to remove?

btw. i'd like to show your a screenshot of all of the options when i right click, but i can't...the right click menu has to be closed in order for the screenshot to start :(

Jo-con-Ël - yes that is a beautiful screenshot of the 5 - how did u do that? did you re-create my hot mess or just edit my image...btw. as u know i'm stupid - so let me prove it to you again - when i do a screenshot, i paste it into drawing, but it looks like crap (as you saw)...how do u make it look like yours..

how do i change my username to stupid?
When you click on the right button "Remove", Together with the Firefox icon, you remove the system panel.To run it again with the "XFCE4-Panel" command .
Repeat this operation 5 times,and you will delete all 5 "Firefox" icons.

Return to “Beginner Questions”