windows equivalent to control-alt-delete for XFCE linux mint 20.2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timbol
Level 2
Level 2

Re: windows equivalent to control-alt-delete for XFCE linux mint 20.2

Post by timbol »

Cards on the table...I don't use Mint XFCE, I use Mint Cinnamon and Debian XFCE but if all that you need is task manager then add a System Monitor to either your desktop or panel. In Mint Cinnamon it's called "System Monitor", hopefully it's similar in XFCE
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Adding to timbol's point...

gnome-system-monitor is what many ( myself included) consider to be a Windows close-enough equal Task Manager in the Ubuntu/debian -based Linux world.

Now XFCE , even Linux Mint XFCE, has its own Task Manager literally called Task Manager, and you can set that command to launch using that specific keyboard short cut of ctrl+alt+esc.
but in windows, when i would press ctrl - alt - del. it would always show the task manager quickly,
In windows XP? Yes..but not since Vista and newer Windows versions. It will not take you DIRECTLY to Task Manager, but will show a quickly launched menu screen in which Task Manager is an immediately available option to tab to or left click on.

Crtrl shift esc would make more sense, but that's just my opinion * shrugs*
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The people who write these Linux desktop environments make little or no attempt to copy WIndows commands, you shouldn't expect them.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

i've tried control-shift-escape in XFCE linux mint 20.2 but it doesn't work
I have problems very infrequently, but oddly Chromium froze up a bit today. Just running htop got it unstuck.

Anyway, I say the method to use for problem applications is to start htop, search for the troubled process and end it by highlighting it, hit F9, hit 9, and then enter.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

The command you need to run to get the task manager is xfce4-taskmanager so it should be easy enough to set your own keyboard shortcut using those keys in the keyboard settings tab of Settings Manager, though you may have to delete a current use of that shortcut if it already exists.

I do have it set up that way in my xfce4 version of Mint and in Xubuntu, though I'm not sure if I added it or it was already set that way by the system; it's all far too long ago now having been using xfce since about 2011, and with a few minor setup changes I have had the same configuration since I started way back then.
I also have the same configuration for xfce in both Mint, Xubuntu, and also in Arcolinux when I used it in the past.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

but its just soooooo slow to respond (compared to windows)
No it isn't. In fact often it's slightly faster than opening Task Manager in windows 10.

If it's slow to respond for you then there is something wrong that is slowing your system down or maybe just parts of it. Same deal in Xubuntu with that same xfce-taskmanager

I've been opening xfce-taskmanager in Linux Mint xfce and gnome-system-monitor in LInux MInt Cinnamon for 10 years and neither of them have ever been slow to open. In fact, It's within , worst case, at or less than a quarter of a second from the instant I press that third key ( ctrl shift esc esc being the third key).
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
timbol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timbol »

hi timbol - yes thats what I’ve been using (i think u meant to write control - shift - escape?)
No, I wrote what I meant to write, a mouse click on the panel v. a keyboard combo. Assigning keys takes slightly longer
but its just soooooo slow to respond (compared to windows)
Admittedly in Mint Cinnamon, but I've just assigned control-shift-escape to System Monitor and it opened simultaneously with me releasing the keys, which is as quick as I'll ever need
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

All this time used to try to make your DE mimic Windows could be used to just learn how the Linux DE works. It will NEVER really work like WIndows. Many beginners seem to think Linux is just a free version of Windows. It just isn't.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

Speaking for myself but ctrl alt del is the easiest way to access a program that has locked up the system on windows. 9 times out of 10 I can kill the app that is causing trouble and get the machine to work again.I've searched for a while and found no way to get to the system monitor on mint and kill the process that's causing it to lock up.I've had a few lockups and kernel panics and I havn't found an equivalent operation to unlock the system. The holding buttons and doing the reiusb(?) entry trick has never worked for me. This is only regarding my system with 32 bit OS so that may be part of it.At least half the time I try to shut it down I get kernel panic lock ups.I've happily found several ways to adapt to Linux but the good ol ctrl alt delete trick is very handy and better for the OS health.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

Well I guess we're headed in opposite directions OP. I'm fully getting rid of windows soon and going to mint full time and you like windows .That's fine.I do have a couple problems with Mint but I think I'll be able to overcome them.I'm done having windows try to control my pc.I do understand your frustration,I've been there with Mint.If you have a few extra bucks get a little hard drive and put Mint on it.Then you will simply have to take a breath and spend the time to get to know how Linux works.I wouldn't recommend Mint if you can't find the time to learn about it.If you do find the time and look at it like a fun journey,That's what it'll be like.EDIT: You don't need to be a genius to get started and do stuff in Linux. That takes years of use.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

ctrl alt del is the easiest way to access a program that has locked up the system on windows
jstich that makes no sense as in any windows version after xp...pressing ctrl alt del opens up a menu that gives options..including Task Manager, but it does NOT directly launch/open Task Manager which is where you must go ( via quick gui selection options that is) to in the end anyways to end/kill a misbehaving or locked up particular process.

Why do two steps to reach the same place when you can do one by pressing ctrl shift escape instead? (facepalms) It's still the same quantity of keyboard button presses and in the end it accomplishes your exact same goal...only with less steps involved to reach it.
i really hate linux mint 20.2...its not as stable as windows.
That opinion's validity can depend on MANY things and it is not a one-size-fits-all-users result. Saying " free is never good" is also quite narrow minded. You don't always get what you pay for in real life regardless of the situation or context. Sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't. Life isn't so simple that way ( although I wish it was..honestly)

Many of us have pointed out the facts here. If your choice if you choose to believe them or not *shrugs*

You CAN to a reasonable extent depending on the Distro and Desktop environment make your Linux installation work VERY close to how Windows does depending on the task or process involved. I have. Some things are already set in keyboard shortcuts...some I had to manually create. No big deal.

Here's some examples of what I mean:

I currently run LM 20.2 cinnamon and have the following keyboard shortcuts set:

1. ctrl shift esc = instantly opens gnome-system-monitor ( imo...a reasonable close-enough Windows Task Manager program )

2. win logo button + x = instantly opens /usr/bin/hardinfo aka " system profiler and benchmark" we for me serves as a more details System Info screen competitor to Windows's win logo buttin + pause/break button for System Info. Some say this is the Linux equal to Windows' device manager *shrugs*. I say it's close enough but without the ability to right click on anything and disable or uninstall and install the particular item/device. Then again...I've NEVER needed to reinstall any devices in Linux Mint Cinnamon in the 10+ years I've been using it. Honestly...

3. win logo button + i = opens cinnamon-settings info aka " System Info" which shows a basic amount of my system's info including Distro, kernel version, cinnamon version, cpu, total ram, total storage capacity as what all is connected currently, and graphics card.

4. win logo button + escape = Force Quit. I press this key combo..move my mouse on what I want to end/kill and left click on it. ( an arguably quicker way than Windows task manager of killing something or worst case..equal in total steps) particularly this is call the xkill command

5. Ctrl + alt + L = log out ( just like in Windows) ...self explanatory

6. win logo button + d = hide all windows and show desktop..JUST like in Windows..same hotkey that has been available in Windows for decades now.

7. alt + tab = cycles through running windows/applications/items...JUST like in Windows

8. ctrl shift tab = cycles backwards through running windows/apps/items..JUST like in Windows

9. And ALL of the windows 10 quad snapping hotkey combos in Windows 10..just work...OOTB in Linux Mint Cinnamon..PRECISELY like Windows 10. win logo button + arrow keys.

10. win logo button + e = opens Nemo ( you can also set the EXACT same keyboard combo to open Thunar....XFCE's stock File manager if you want)

So...what is the problem?

Ajgreeny already pointed out what you need to do to accomplish your mission AND in a quicker/more direct way.

the command is literally xfce4-taskmanager Unless there is something legit wrong with your Linux Mint XFCE installation, running that command be it via a shortcut 2 button or 3 button key combo OR within terminal should instantly launch that task manager window.

Go to your keyboard shortcuts in Linux Mint XFCE, and create a custom shortcut with that exact command and for the hotkey combo you can set it to whatever you want that isn't already being used by another shortcut. be it ctrl alt del....ctrl shift esc....whatever *shrugs*

What more do you want?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I use xkill and bind the keys cntrl + esc.

viewtopic.php?p=2080504#p2080504
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I set my Xfce to do that.

Make sure you have gnome-system-monitor installed (from Software Manager)

Open Settings Manager
Open Keyboard
Click on Application Shortcuts tab
Click Add
Type in gnome-system-monitor for the Command
Click Ok
Press (and hold) the Ctrl, Shift, then Esc key to assign that key combination.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

Thanks for the tip Motoryzen. I only knew about ctrl alt del.Thanks for the better shortcut. Also I don't think my 64 bit os has crashed once .My 32 bit os only locks up usually when I try to shut it down. It will work fine for many hours but sometimes locks up when trying to shut it down.Thanks for the shortcut tips regarding linux too.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

6. win logo button + d = hide all windows and show desktop..JUST like in Windows..same hotkey that has been available in Windows for decades now.
Just tested here on LM 19.3 Cinnamon. Pressing [WinKey][d] displays the desktop. Pressing it again restores the previously displayed windows to their locations.
Note:
[WinKey] looks like this on the keyboard: []
You press [], keep it pressed, while pressing the letter d

I will have to verify, whether the same keyboard combination has got the same effect on my xfce desktops as well.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

linux wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:34 pm hi motoryzen ,

thanks for the thorough response :) i guess i will give linux a try. so i'm going through EVERY one of those, and i'll tell you which ones are a problem

doesn't work for me...any idea how to fix it? isn't it a built in command?
I believe that motoryzen has set the keyboard shortcuts to do that. Normally, many of those that motoryzen lists are not set as default. You will need to assign the keystroke combinations to do a particular action.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

karlchen wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:57 am []d
I will have to verify, whether the same keyboard combination has got the same effect on my xfce desktops as well.
LM 19.3 xfce:
Does not work. Reason: pressing [] alone opens the Mint application menu here.
But <Ctrl><Alt>d on LM 19.3 xfce does what []d does on Cinnamon.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:10 am hi

yeah even pressing the windows button doesn't bring up the start button

pressing windows button + D doesn't work neither

how to program that windows key (as u know i just came from windows, and i used those 2 all the time)

and more advanced question for ya'all - i have a star button in the middle of my keyboard...i would love to program this to make the computer SLEEP

heres the keyboard

https://img-prod-cms-rt-microsoft-com.a ... 0&aim=true
In the menu go to keyboard and then go to the application shortcuts. There you will put in the command and then it will ask you to press the key(s) that you want to use to implement the command.

I just used several of the suggestions in here to program some keyboard shortcuts yesterday, something I have never done or really even known about. This included setting up some keyboard shortcuts for shutdown and logout, I did not do sleep but it would be similar. For XFCE, I found the commands for those sort of things here:
https://linux.die.net/man/1/xfce4-session-logout
and here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/771166/ ... e-terminal

So for suspend the command in XFCE would be

Code: Select all

xfce4-session-logout --suspend
So to see if you can program that star key, open the "keyboard" application from your menu, click on the "application shortcuts" tab, click on "add" then put that command in as the application shortcut and when it asks you to press the key(s) that you want to use, press the star key and see if it accepts that.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:10 am hi

yeah even pressing the windows button doesn't bring up the start button

pressing windows button + D doesn't work neither

how to program that windows key (as u know i just came from windows, and i used those 2 all the time)

and more advanced question for ya'all - i have a star button in the middle of my keyboard...i would love to program this to make the computer SLEEP

heres the keyboard

https://img-prod-cms-rt-microsoft-com.a ... 0&aim=true
No idea about that Star-button you have but it is very easy using g Xfce to set custom keyboard commands for any key in the Keyboard section of Settings Manager.
I am on an Android tablet at the moment and can not remember the exact command I have set for a press of ths Pause/Break key to suspend my machines but I will find it tomorrow and post an edit back here.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

OK.
A later than anticipated addendum to my last post about a keyboard shortcut to suspend (sleep) the computer.

The command you can use linked to that star key is

xfce4-session-logout --suspend
which will put the computer into suspend mode immediately with no confirmation dialogue appearing.

Incidentally, you can also use a similar command

xfce4-session-logout --halt
linked to something else (star key + Win key?) to power-off the computer, also immediately with no confirmation dialogue.

I use the suspend shortcut a great deal on my desktop machine and occasionally the halt shortcut but you have to remember to make sure all applications have been shutdown before doing so. On my laptop simply closing the lid suspends it so it's not so useful on that machine as it is on the desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”