windows equivalent to control-alt-delete for XFCE linux mint 20.2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: windows equivalent to control-alt-delete for XFCE linux mint 20.2

Post by jsb »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:23 am hi ajgreeny and jsb

i tried this one and it shutdown the computer without confirmation, not put into sleep mode, is this correct?
xfce4-session-logout --halt
Yes, it does a shutdown without any confirmation, delay, or option to cancel.

If you want sleep, then replace "halt" with "suspend". The links have additional options for the modifier, such as logout, reboot, etc.

If instead of immediate execution, you just want the menu of options to pop up so that you can then click on shutdown, logout, or suspend, then leave out the modifier and just do: "xfce4-session-logout".
cfb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cfb »

Why not simply read the man page for the "xfce4-session-logout" command?
It will explain the different command options.
Just enter this in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

man xfce4-session-logout
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Or better still, just read what I and jsb have said several times.
To suspend without confirmation use

xfce4-session-logout --suspend
and to shutdown without confirmation use

jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

ajgreeny wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:17 am Or better still, just read what I and jsb have said several times.
To suspend without confirmation use

xfce4-session-logout --suspend
and to shutdown without confirmation use

Yes, you already had that, if that's what you wanted, then why change the command :?
linux wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:23 ami tried this one and it shutdown the computer without confirmation...
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

I'm not much of a user of terminal commands,

shutsdown Mint and turns my computer off. Off is off, it's not in any low power mode. From your previous comment, it seems that it does this for you too :?: . If so, why look for another path to accomplish the same thing?

This discussion was about keyboard shortcuts. It was of interest to me as I have occasionally had my PC freeze up or hang in the middle of shutting down. So I used the information that others supplied and that I found via search to set up some keyboard shortcuts that might be of use to me for that situation, since the old "REISUB" never seems to do anything and "ctl-alt-backspace" often is no help either. I made keyboard shortcuts with some of the "session-logout" commands and the "xkill" that was suggested, as well as one with "shutdown now". I haven't had a need to use any since, but I have my notes to remember what I set up, should the machine get stuck in future.

All of that is just to let you know that I am not really an independent source of information on the details of terminal commands. I just gave you my interpretation of what I read in the thread and elsewhere. Some sources seem to indicate that shutdown, halt, and poweroff are all effectively the same when used on a PC running a Ubuntu based distro, such as Mint :?: : https://www.howtogeek.com/411925/how-to ... mmand-line

Return to “Beginner Questions”