[SOLVED] Flatpak/Flatseal Gnucash fails to launch

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Flatpak/Flatseal Gnucash fails to launch

Post by elmarts »

I just went through a clean install, replacing my Linux Mint 19.3 with Mint 20.2. Gnucash 3.8 is provided and it opens my data file seemingly OK, but I had the flatpak running version 4.x, and would like to get that back. I have installed and reinstalled flatpak, but when I click on the icon for gnucash 4.x, I get the wait timer, and then nothing. Flatseal also reacts the same way, i.e. does not open, although if flatpak is really installed it should at least show its window. Ideas on how to get the flatpak programs running again? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- Elmar
Dual boot win 10 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Flatpak/Flatseal Gnucash fails to launch

Post by mikeflan »

Hi. Is gnucash 4.x in the start menu? If so, delete the icon you have on the desktop, then right click on the one in the start menu and 'Add to desktop' of 'Add to panel'.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

Yes, it is in the start menu, and its properties says the command to invoke it is the following

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=gnucash --file-forwarding org.gnucash.GnuCash @@ %f @@
The flatseal command is

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=com.github.tchx84.Flatseal com.github.tchx84.Flatseal
Does that help?
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Yes, it is in the start menu, and its properties says
Yes that helps. How did you access the properties of the Gnucash launcher in the start menu?

I still stand by what I said in my first post. Delete your desktop launcher and then put it back from the start menu. Then try to start Gnucash with the new launcher.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

Open the start menu, right click the icon, and edit properties, then copy the command line. I try to launch from the menu itself. No luck. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and still no change in behavior. It simply will not start, just displays the wait throbber, then nothing. How do I test flatpak itself?
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I try to launch from the menu itself. No luck. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and still no change in behavior. It simply will not start, just displays the wait throbber, then nothing.
Please type this in a terminal and report the response:

gnucash
How do I test flatpak itself?
Type this in a terminal:

flatpak list
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

mikeflan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:47 pm Please type this in a terminal and report the response:

gnucash

ets@Shinobi ~ $ gnucash
Found Finance::Quote version 1.49.
And it runs gnucash 3.8 normally.
Type this in a terminal:

flatpak list

ets@Shinobi ~ $ flatpak list
error: While opening repository /home/ets/.local/share/flatpak/repo: opening repo: opendir(objects): No such file or directory
Navigating to this folder shows it is empty save for a config file which contains

[core]
repo_version=1
mode=bare-user-only
min-free-space-size=500MB
Now i have the files com.github.tchx84.Flatseal.flatpakref and org.gnucash.GnuCash.flatpakref on a different HD and clicking "open with software manager" on them results in their entries ending up in the start menu, and retrying tells me that they are both already installed. But from the above test of flatpak, they are apparently not getting to where they need to be, right?

There is another folder in there, labelled overides - and it contains one file "/home/ets/.local/share/flatpak/overrides/org.gnucash.GnuCash" and does not contain an equivalent flatseal entry.

Doing a search through the file system for flatseal, I found that there are populated folders in /var/lib/flatpak/app/, namely /var/lib/flatpak/app/com.github.tchx84.Flatseal and /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash

Does this help?
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Glad to see your non-flatpak Gnucash ver 3.8 is working.

ets@Shinobi ~ $ flatpak list
error: While opening repository /home/ets/.local/share/flatpak/repo: opening repo: opendir(objects): No such file or directory
I'm not sure why your flatpak installation is messed up. So for flatpaks a repository is just a simple file on your system. Who knew?

Your flatpak installation used to work and now it doesn't. This is a job for Timeshift :)

I can't give you any other constructive recommendation. We are looking for better help.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 pm Glad to see your non-flatpak Gnucash ver 3.8 is working.
I'm not sure why your flatpak installation is messed up. So for flatpaks a repository is just a simple file on your system. Who knew?

Your flatpak installation used to work and now it doesn't. ..
Well, it worked on 19.3. It has never worked on this 20.2 clean installation. Timeshift would dump me back into the problems with the internet that I left 19.3 for. Thanks for the help so far, but I'm still hosed, and have no clue why.
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Re: Flatpak/Flatseal Gnucash fails to launch

Post by elmarts »

This thread has the solution - https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issu ... -621545087

and

rm -rf ~/.local/share/flatpak
worked. I now have things running again :)
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”