Logs to check reset reason?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glmerideth
Level 1
Level 1

Logs to check reset reason?

Post by glmerideth »

Just threw a new nvme into my Gigabyte AMD board (Ryzen7 with 64GB RAM and an ATI RX580) to replace Windows and begin using Mint as my daily driver. Installed perfectly, started updating and installing apps when the system restarted. No crash message, nothing on screen, almost as if someone had pressed the reset button. I had installed VSCODE and placed two remote mount points on desktop (from Synology) but after the reset, VSCODE was not installed and the two mount points were gone.

This has happened six times total. Nothing I'm doing seems to relate to the crash. Once, installing with apt, once changing to static IP, one time reading a PDF ect.. dmesg shows nothing out of the ordinary so I'm curious if there are any other log files to look at that might determine what is the issue.

BIOS on the board is somewhat older, latest is F50 while I'm still on F41 (GA-AX370-Gaming K7.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Logs to check reset reason?

Post by senjoz »

Welcome to the Forums, glmerideth!

Maybe journalctl logs can help you. After an unexpected reboot run in terminal command journalctl -b -1 -r. This will display logs from the previous boot in reverse order, the last log entry will be at the beginning. Read man journalctl. You can list older boots with terminal command journalctl --list-boots. You can get information about previous boots also with the terminal command last -Fx.

Check also Crash reports (Mint menu - Administration - System Reports - Crash reports).

And please provide more information about your system. Boot in Linux Mint, open terminal, make it full screen, run command inxi -Fxxxrz, copy output and paste that information between code tags in your replay. To do that, click in the mini toolbar (located above the edit box where you type your reply) on the button marked with </>, place the cursor between inserted code tags and paste information there, [code]paste terminal output here[/code].

Regards, Jože
glmerideth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glmerideth »

Digging in. Crash reports are empty. Nothing in journal that stands out. The only warning from the file system is a "missing or invalid SUBNQN field" regarding the NVME drive (it's a Sabrent Rocket 4.)

Nov 25 08:14:46 ryzenmint kernel: tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the entire command/response buffer. >
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

glmerideth wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:19 am I had installed VSCODE and placed two remote mount points on desktop (from Synology) but after the reset, VSCODE was not installed and the two mount points were gone.
That looks suspicious to me. Maybe there is a problem with the SSD. Check the file system with fsck, for instance fsck -fvC /dev/device_name (replace device_name with the partition you wish to check). You should do that from live session booting with USB/DVD installation media. Check also drive health with smartmontools, sudo smartctl /dev/device_name -a (replace device_name with the actual disk device). You can look in the error log and smart log of the SSD with nvme-cli management tools, sudo nvme error-log /dev/device_name and sudo nvme smart-log /dev/device_name.

glmerideth wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:19 am BIOS on the board is somewhat older, latest is F50 while I'm still on F41 (GA-AX370-Gaming K7.)
I would update the UEFI firmware to the latest.

Do you overclock your machine?

And please provide more information about your system as I mentioned in my previous post. We even do not know which version of Mint you have installed. Read How To Get Help!

Regards, Jože
Last edited by senjoz on Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
glmerideth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glmerideth »

Smartools show no errors and a nice even temp on the NVME after running all night long. Since the one day of crashing it has yet to happen again so I'm just rolling with it. The build is 20.2 with the updated 5.4.0.90 kernel.

So far so good.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

I have not a lot of further suggestions. You can check memory modules and you can reformat the nvme SSD and instal Mint again. I think that, if you would be prepared to provide system information as I ask you in my previous posts, more experienced forum members would jump in with additional suggestions.

So long, Jože

Return to “Beginner Questions”