Why do some files get copied slower than others?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sitaramdas
Level 1
Level 1

Why do some files get copied slower than others?

Post by Sitaramdas »

I am new to linux mint and been enjoying it from last past few months! I just wanted to ask a question to which I was not finding answer. I have noticed that a folder on my device gets copied much slower than all the other folders, but why so?
Everything is same, the devices are same, the cable is the same, there are no applications opened! But that folder gets copied much slower and its speed keeps on continuously decreasing.
Other folders transfer at a rate of 10MBps while that folder less than 1MBps, why so?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Why do some files get copied slower than others?

Post by mikeflan »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you like LM.
Thousands of smaller files will typically copy slower than just a few big files. I'm not sure why.
Last edited by mikeflan on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sitaramdas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sitaramdas »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:44 pm Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you like LM.
Thousands of smaller files will typically copy slower than just a few big files. I'm not sure why. That might be the reason.
Thank you, I think you are right as that folder contains thousands of files of just few kilobytes. Thank you!
CeramicFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CeramicFox »

When you copy a big file most of its data is written sequentially on your drive. It is a matter of locating them and then performing the copy.
But when there are multiple files, each time system needs to look them up on the drive and then start copying. So you will have some of your time dedicated to locating each file in between the copying process.
If you need to copy those files regularly or you are making backups you can consider compressing them into a zip file. The process will take longer than a copy the first time but you can move them easier afterwards.
Sitaramdas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sitaramdas »

CeramicFox wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:58 am When you copy a big file most of its data is written sequentially on your drive. It is a matter of locating them and then performing the copy.
But when there are multiple files, each time system needs to look them up on the drive and then start copying. So you will have some of your time dedicated to locating each file in between the copying process.
If you need to copy those files regularly or you are making backups you can consider compressing them into a zip file. The process will take longer than a copy the first time but you can move them easier afterwards.
Thank you! For sharing your knowledge and suggesting the use of a zip file for future transfers!

Return to “Beginner Questions”