(SOLVED) List of sources could not be read

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) List of sources could not be read

Post by JohhB2002 »

I believe I am having SERIOUS problem...
I am new to LINUX MINT (installed about 2 weeks ago) and all was fine until...... I made some kind of mistake in one of the terminal entries while trying to install WINE... I was unable to do it and now I get this message....
Failed to load the package list (When trying to open the Software Manager
E:Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (Component), E:The list of sources could not be read.
I also get this message when trying use the update manager
Could not refresh the list of updates
APT error:
E:Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list (Component), E:The list of sources could not be read.

Need serious help please...
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: List of sources could not be read

Post by mikeflan »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are running Timeshift please restore to an earlier snapshot. If you are not running Timeshift, then tell us what you did wrong during the Wine install. What procedure were you following? Which part went wrong? You might be able to get a list of previous terminal commands by typing history and enter in a terminal.

Also post the output of this typed in a terminal:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL=C sudo apt update
and then this:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL=C inxi -Fxxxrz
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Re: List of sources could not be read

Post by JohhB2002 »

Thank you much... I have restored using Timeshift and it worked like a charm..Again, Thank you..

I wish I knew what when wrong.... I did so much that I cannot be sure however, I hope it will go better next time around.
John
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: List of sources could not be read (SOLVED)

Post by mikeflan »

You might want to try Play-on-Linux from the Software Manager next time.
JohhB2002
Level 2
Level 2

Re: List of sources could not be read (SOLVED)

Post by JohhB2002 »

mikeflan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:53 am You might want to try Play-on-Linux from the Software Manager next time.
Good I will look at it for sure.. Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”