Do i need to buy graphic card?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alice
Level 1
Level 1

Do i need to buy graphic card?

Post by Alice »

I am new to Linux and about to buy a used pc and intend to install Mint. This system should be the best for beginners and also gd enough for gaming I am told? But I cant figure out if I need to look for graphic cards or if Linux has them built in on dl and install or if they are purchased, and if they are capable enough to handle games. If not, I should go for a radeon card instead of nvidia as I understand Linux understands those better? As I see it there are some built in drivers from neuvea or something like that, but is that all i need to get started and can that handle games like mmos and other higher end demands in this area?
I will use it for normal use, internet privacy and movies, as well as gaming, but no coding etc.
Ty :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Do i need to buy graphic card?

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Hardware is something that is in the computer - something you can see and touch. A graphics card is hardware.
Computers will have them in already as that is what your monitor connects to. Sometimes they are 'onboard' which means that it is one that is part of the motherboard (the main part of the computer). Generally you might want one with a PCIe graphics card (which most newer computers will have).
Depending on the games - if they are graphics intensive, then it might be worth dual booting - so you have Windows and Linux on the computer. Windows for games, and Mint for everything else.

Most of the time, compatibility problems don't seem to show themselves with slightly older computers - so if you are getting a secondhand one, you should be ok.

Best to follow this guide for installing and troubleshooting and cleaning Mint etc:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/2.html
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

If your PC doesn't come with a graphics card you will need one unless your CPU has built-in graphics. If you buy one I am partial to Nvidia products. They supply a Linux friendly driver while AMD does not. The Linux kernel has a rudimentary AMD compatible driver in it that should work with most AMD graphics.

The driver from Nvidia is available from 'Driver Manager' and is provided without cost. In any case the game selection for Linux is meeger but improving. I dual boot with Win 10 for Games.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Seadreamer wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:37 pm If you buy one I am partial to Nvidia products. They supply a Linux friendly driver while AMD does not.
Please note that this is so incredibly and utterly false it's not even funny any more. In Linux "friendly" drivers are open sourced drivers integrated with the kernel, i.e., exactly as AMD's drivers are. Nvidia on the other hand refuses to share details of its hardware and supplies a closed, binary-blob driver only which is responsible for I'd say about 80+ percent of the graphics issues on the Linux desktop.

With AMD hardware everything works OOTB since AMD has contributed and is actively contributing to Linux: Nvidia does nothing of the kind. Anyone should feel free to not care about that and/or have reasons for preferring Nvidia --- but no one may feel free to so utterly misrepresent the situation as to graphics drivers on Linux as Seadreamer did just there now.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:03 pm as Seadreamer did just there now.
also their advice "You will want to convert from music CD, sorry I don't remember the file extension but it is a large file"
Last edited by t42 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

One newbie giving advise to another newbie then I guess (where admittedly newbie 1 sounds like s/he might be able to use each and any advise) which is certainly fine. Just stay away from praising nvi-blood-ia...
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:29 pm Just stay away from praising nvi-blood-ia...
thanks, edited )
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Confused. Don't see what's edited (and was of course referring to Seadreamer's nvidia advise). But let me in any case not furthermore disturb the thread. Nvidia boo! Boobooboo! Off to bed...
Alice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alice »

I have no intention of running windows on the side, only linux, I wont that spying surveilance virus off my pc for gd, win 10 is nothing but that so def no ty to that ;) And everwhere ive looked at now say that Mint is the best for beginners but that can also run most if not all games without major issues, is this not true then? I play via steam mostly and supposedly linux mint and steam games with amd card is the best option? I did see Pop OS on the list also but that it was not as beginner friendly, and i know less than Jon Snow with this..
I agree, I dont like nvidia, I currently run with a radeon card for almost 10 yrs now that works just fine, but id like to upgrade it, but Im trying to avoid spending money on something that wont work with whatever Linux i choose,I just need it working and running:) If linux does not have any of its own cards i can buy or dl? I find nothing of this if so. And why is it free, is what i dl for free here not the full operating system but a trial then?
Are there any cards i should def invest in to go with Mint for gaming purposes, in the cheap end? If that is the best way?Or another combination?
The world is a confusing place lol. But im done supporting big tech and gates' disgustingly invasive products that he use to fund our deaths with. And ive always wanted to try and support alternative narratives:)
Alice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alice »

rene wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:03 pm
Seadreamer wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:37 pm If you buy one I am partial to Nvidia products. They supply a Linux friendly driver while AMD does not.
Please note that this is so incredibly and utterly false it's not even funny any more. In Linux "friendly" drivers are open sourced drivers integrated with the kernel, i.e., exactly as AMD's drivers are. Nvidia on the other hand refuses to share details of its hardware and supplies a closed, binary-blob driver only which is responsible for I'd say about 80+ percent of the graphics issues on the Linux desktop.

With AMD hardware everything works OOTB since AMD has contributed and is actively contributing to Linux: Nvidia does nothing of the kind. Anyone should feel free to not care about that and/or have reasons for preferring Nvidia --- but no one may feel free to so utterly misrepresent the situation as to graphics drivers on Linux as Seadreamer did just there now.
Ty, noted, I always preferred amd and thought nvidia was overrated and too closed in, without knowing much about it as is. I try to avoid nvidia as much as posible, its like win 10, overrated and garbage ;D
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

Alice wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:44 pm I cant figure out if I need to look for graphic cards or if Linux has them built in on dl and install or if they are purchased, and if they are capable enough to handle games.

I will use it for normal use, internet privacy and movies, as well as gaming, but no coding etc.
When you buy a pc, it may have a dedicated graphics card included. It may have an integrated GPU on the motherboard. Some computers will have both. You can usually find out what the specifications of the pc are if the seller has a decent description of it. Perhaps you could list some games you'd want to play, and let us know what the specifications of the pc is.

Different GPUs have different capabilities, and different games require different levels of power. Plus, the majority of games were built for Microsoft Windows. There is a decent amount of games that have Linux versions, and on Steam there is Proton which enables some sort of compatibility with Windows games, although some games may run, but crash and have glitches etc. Just bear that in mind.

As for video, it should be fine. Even an old PC should run 1080p HD, even integrated. It'd have to be really weak/old to only support standard definition.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

In forementioned bed so only briefly:

1. Don't currently upgrade graphics card if at all interested in price/performance; hugely inflated prices due to corona/shortages, also second hand.
2. Otherwise/later AMD best choice on Linux indeed.
3. Gaming on Linux not all it's currently being cracked up to be, but specifically Valve/Steam has made great strides, esp. for stuff without 3rd party DRM/launchers.
4. No, Mint and most other so-called distributions/distro are free of cost (monetary; you will need to invest some effort into learning stuff)
5. Mint is an operating system, software, not hardware and neither it nor generally "Linux" has "own cards" any more than Windows/Microsoft does.

I'd for now stick with the existing Radeon card; assuming desktop and not laptop chances are excellent it will work to the best of the hardware's abilities out of the box.
Alice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alice »

Ty for reply.
I just cant comprehend dl and making this usb flash drive and make sure it works right, so i dont end up having no system after deleting and then i cant install it cause it dont work, i have zero other access to internet without a working pc so i would not be able to get help without a running system. I found a site that sells it on a usb stick in my country r to use and just install here: https://linuxpusher.dk/vare/linux-mint-paa-usb/ but it has 3 other options in it to choose from, so now im even more confused and what to pick :l It must be functioning with games mostly from steam as i mentioned, but if i end up having to spend 2 days solving issues i will stress out fast and break down. I worry it just wont be posible with a linux now when u write its not all its popped up to be for gaming but that its getting there? ;( This was the case yrs ago when i also wanted to switch but didnt for this reason alone.
Cinnamon, Mate of xfce? I am burning out a bit researching all of these things now tbh and now i need to look into these 3 also >< I HATE windows, i want it out of my life pls. I cant jsut easily look up and perform creations of flashdrives and bootable iso pictures and what its all called, its beyond my concentration right now, so thats why im thinking to just buy this alr installed on something instead :s
Ty for ur time
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Alice wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:29 am I HATE windows, i want it out of my life pls. I cant jsut easily look up and perform creations of flashdrives and bootable iso pictures and what its all called, its beyond my concentration right now
Then are you sure that this is a good time to learn an entirely new operating system? Mint is suitable for beginners, yes... but there is a learning curve.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Alice
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alice »

i dont have the patience for funny replies likes urs, read my post and reply if u have the answers, if not dont. Ty
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

An easy way to create a usb boot, is to get a version of mint and use a program like Balena Etcher to make the usb stick a bootable device.

Usually, when you power on the pc, your motherboard should have an option to boot from a usb device, which is usually activated by pressing one of the F keys, such as F8. When you load the installer, it will give you the option to delete the existing data from your hard drive and create a new installation, or you can create a partition which should enable the option to dual boot both windows and linux.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, it might be a better idea to find someone who can do it for you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:07 pm ... Depending on the games - if they are graphics intensive, then it might be worth dual booting - so you have Windows and Linux on the computer. Windows for games, and Mint for everything else....
+1 Linux gaming is far behind WIndows. Many here say that's changing but I've been hearing that for 10 years. It isn't going to change any time soon.

I don't have any Windows but if I were more of a gamer I definitely would still have at least 1 partition.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:46 am It isn't going to change any time soon.
Something new is in fact happening in that context and that is that deep-pocket party Valve is (more than) involved what with it wanting to have literally all of its gigantic 50.000 or so game library at least functional and playable on their Steam Deck hardware running Linux.

Sure. Likely peripheral support issues (which however Valve has also been addressing), performance difference to at least some degree, foo, bar, but it in fact isn't same-old same-old this time around. Valve has a history of being quick to drop hardware projects again so it remains to be seen how long it'll last and there's the general issue that Proton also serves as one heck of a reason for a game-developer to not supply a native Linux version --- but change is in fact afoot.

For now and probably for a long time still the most serious issues for "us" will be as commented on before; viewtopic.php?p=2071412#p2071412. That is, if you thought that the number of people coming in here insisting that Linux needs to be a free version of Windows is bad now --- just wait for the "gamer" hordes...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Alice wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 am i dont have the patience for funny replies likes urs
I was not trying to be funny. I just want to make sure that you are aware that there will be a learning curve involved. If making a bootable USB stick sounds like something you are not up for, then I really hope you are up for (or have the patience for) what comes after that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

just wait for the "gamer" hordes...
Excellent. The more, the merrier.

In fact, the bigger the useage, the more likely we are to see hardware manufacturers taking MORE of an interest in non-MS systems.
One of the major downsides being that there will be fewer hardware issues on the forum but more 'how do i increase my framerate from 140 to 141?' :lol:

To the OP - you have to chill a little.
If you don't completely agree with a reply to your post then best to ignore it or reply with a bit more courtesy.
Especially Moem's who has well deserved Grade 9 moderator power on this forum and can strike one down with thunderbolts and hemorrhoids but she wields her magic sparingly. Luckily.

Return to “Beginner Questions”