How Do I load CD-ROM Music on my phone [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

How Do I load CD-ROM Music on my phone [SOLVED]

Post by JerryC58 »

I have a collection of CDs I would like to load on my phone. I have the appropriate cable and my laptop has a CD drive. The phone has 128GB of which only 30% is used. The phone is using Android 12. Need any more info?

JC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How Do I load CD-ROM Music on my phone

Post by Seadreamer »

Connect your phone to your computer and transfer files.

Note that music CD's do not use a common file like MP3. You will want to convert from music CD, sorry I don't remember the file extension but it is a large file. MP3 are much smaller. If you want the best quality convert to a lossless format like FLAC. Files can be transferred to your Android phone over a USB connection. When your phone is plugged in it will ask if you want to transfer files, push allow.

Drag and drop files to or from your phone.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

More information:

My phone is a Pixel 6 Pro. When I connect to my laptop with a USB cord, it gets mounted but does not show anything on the screen. I have a CD in the drive which shows a list of .wav files. So far I'm not seeing anyway to transfer music files.

JC
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

When you say it gets mounted what do you see on the computer screen? I get an icon that looks like a phone, when I double click on it it opens to show two folders. Sorry I misread your last message. How do you know it is mounted?
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

Seadreamer, I see nothing like you see. I am using Mint 20.2. I know the phone is mounted because when I plug it in, it opens a screen in File Manager which is blank. The left hand column in file manager, under devices, shows both the Pixel and the CD disk. I don't see any phone icon.

JC
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Once you've plugged in the phone you'll probably need to unlock the phone and pull down the notification menu. You'll probably see a 'silent notification' about the USB being connected, you need to touch that and select file transfer. Then you should be able to access the phones storage from your Mint desktop.

As far as getting the files from your CDs, it seems you already see the uncompressed .wav files but they don't contain meta data so while the file names may give you the names and artist a music player on your computer or phone will likely report song title, artist, album etc. as 'unknown' so you may want to use an application to rip the CD and encode it to another format (as mentioned above, .mp3 is common but with lossy compression and .flac is lossless compression so typically larger than a .mp3. There are other file types you can use.) One application I like to use is Asunder, it (sometimes) manages to get the metadata automatically from the internet and you can also add/correct it yourself. You can choose the file formats you want to encode and it's in the official repositories and fairly simple to use but may not be the best program available.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

I've not tried it for this for years as all my cd's are already mp3's on my phone, but does rythmbox not have an option to rip along with a CD database? I know it would be lengthy to do, but easier in the long term for transferring them to another phone.

Once you have them on your pc in the format you want, plug the phone in then unlock it and drag down from the top of the screen, double tap the 'usb charging' option, select 'transfer files' from the list of option, then open your phone in linux (it should be listed in the window along with the other folders etc) and you'll be able to drag the music across to the appropriate folder.... That's the theory anyway!
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Three things:
1. You MUST copy the music files to your computer before you can manipulate them. Create a folder and put them in there. Asunder is good. I use Foobar2000.
2. Format: I use mp3 @ 320k-CBR which is the highest quality mp3 available and is very good-sounding and more than adequate for on-the-go listening.
3. Plug your phone in. Open Warpinator. It will recognise your phone. Transfer.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

My choice is to copy the CDs to my notebook in the FLAC format for quality then create an MP3 version for the car/phone. When listening to music in the car or while swimming, you are probably not trying to work out if the musician back in the third row is playing a Peruvian or Bolivian flute. You can squash the MP3 down.

The same with video. Keep a good original and use a squashed format for the little screen. On my Samsung Android phone, I had to install a different player to cover all the formats. I do not know what you get on Google Android. Experiment with both FLAC and MP3. Plus you can get microSD cards up to a terabyte. :D
JerryC58
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JerryC58 »

Thank you so much to all the people who contributed to this thread. I have ripped a CD and loaded it on my new phone and it plays. Only a couple hundred CDs to go! :lol:
JC

Return to “Beginner Questions”