How users A and B can access the same USB drive ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrlyclsj
Level 1
Level 1

How users A and B can access the same USB drive ?

Post by chrlyclsj »

Dear all,

Me (account A) and my wife (account B) use the same computer (we switch accounts whenever it's needed) and both accounts are admin.
We sometime connect a USB external drive of the computer (not necessary the same every time).

User A plugs a USB drive.
Later, user B switches to her account, the USB external drive then cannot be red unless the user unplugs et re-plugs it.

I understand that it's designed like that for a security reason, however my computer is at home, my wife and I are the only users.

I would like to know if there is a way to tweaks things in order to make a USB external drive auto-mounted by user A readable by user B (without unpluging / pluging again).

Thanks very much for your kind help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How users A and B can access the same USB drive ?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'm not a guru,

but I would just set the USB drive up as a Media accessed drive for each user.

the fact that it is available by another user, who is not logged on, should not be a problem.
This assumes, that the other user has logged off
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chrlyclsj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chrlyclsj »

Thanks very much for your answer.
The thing is that we don't necessarily log off : I use the computer for a while, then put it on sleep, then my wife would wake the computer up and log into her account (so my account is still open).

I'm still digging.
jonau01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonau01 »

Here is what you could do

1) Have a common user group for both accounts ( create a new one or use an existing one, that's up to you )

2) Make sure that both users belong to that common group ( ideally have that common group as primary group )

3) If needed : change all files (of the USB drive) group owner to that group .
You could simple add the "other" user to the existing group that already own those files

4) If needed : Add whatever permission you want to that group

5) You may have to change umask to fit your needs

Remarks : you can start with a small directory, using 2 new accounts as test to see and then apply the final solution to your entire USB drive once you're satisfied with your first test.

Notes : If the common group is not a user primary group, then any new file created by that user will not belong to the common group.
Also becarefull when change primary group of a user : the user may lose some access to some existing files
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

chrlyclsj wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:42 am Me (account A) and my wife (account B) use the same computer (we switch accounts whenever it's needed) and both accounts are admin.
Hi,
If your wife and you are so close (just speaking of computers here :wink: ), why don't you just have one common account ?
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Beginner Questions”