Terminal name changed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OJiSan
Level 1
Level 1

Terminal name changed

Post by OJiSan »

I am trying to rebuild an AsusP5B-Plus. (I thought it would be a good way to learn more about computers....) I listed the mother board designation as the name of that computer which shows up at the top of the Terminal window. This computer is not connected to the internet.
My main computer is a lenovo ideapad 300 which I used to download files onto a usb stick I wanted to install on the Asus.
I don't know what I did but suddenly the name of the Asus is now the name that shows at the top of the terminal window on the Lenovo and part of the Lenovo name is mixed into the Asus name in the Asus computer.
Both computers have Linux Mint 20.2 MATE 64 bit.
How could this happen?
Is it a serious problem?
How can I fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Terminal name changed

Post by gittiest personITW »

Did you clone the drive to the Asus or was it a clean install?

Try the PS1 command, for instance, https://www.linuxnix.com/linuxunix-shel ... in-detail/
I changed the relevant part in my .bashrc to the following which shows the prompt with the time/name of machine+user:

Code: Select all

if [ "$color_prompt" = yes ]; then
PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\t \[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\] - :\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '
else
    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '
Make sure you've backed up the file before playing with it.
OJiSan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OJiSan »

Sorry, I don't know what "clone the drive" means. I installed linux mint MATE 20.5 on the Asus with an ISO dvd. But first I had to install Cinnamonmint sarah 32 bit from ISO dvd I made in 2017. (20.5 would hang. On a lark I tried the old disk. It installed. Then I installed 20.5)

I don't remember details. The Lenovo was not working properly I created the ISO MATE 20.5 dvd and installed it on the Lenovo

I do not know how to read the code you sent me so I was afraid to try and use it.

I went to "PS1 explained" and entered echo $PS1 in my terminal and got this: \[\e]0;\u@\h: \w\a\]${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$

I do not know how to read this code but it looks way too long but looks similar to the code you sent. I cannot read from either yours or this the time, name of machine or user. Both computers give the exact same output from $PS1
Thank you for your help
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
There is no Mint 20.5 as far as I am aware.

Can you go to into Terminal and copy/paste the following, then copy/paste the output in your reply:

Code: Select all

inxi -S
So, did you 'upgrade' rather than install from scratch?
When you tried to install using Mint DVD, what happened?
Did it boot into Live Mint? (The screen that looks like Mint but only has the 'Install Mint' icon on the desktop)?
OJiSan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OJiSan »

Host: don-asusP5BPlus Kernel: 5.13.0-22-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma
Sorry, hand wrote on the installation disk and my 2 looks like a 5.
The above info is on the Lenovo when I type the same command, inxi -s, into the Asus I get temperature readings for the cpu. (The Asus is not connected to the net.) (my "ls" command does not work the way the tutorials say it should either. particularly the ls -1 command only returns file names in a different order)
I installed from scratch. Same ISO DVD with both computers.
I tried to install many times with 20.2 It would stop and this message was on the screen:
/casper/vmlinus file =/cdrom/preseed/linuxmintiseed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
mind you, I hand copied the above.
I do not remember booting into a Live Mint
Last edited by OJiSan on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, OJiSan.

The commands inxi -s (lower case s) and inxi -S (capital S) are two different commands. Linux is case sensitive.
You had been requested to execute inxi -S (capital S) and share the screen output.

For more details on how to invoke the command inxi, see the output of inxi --help | less or man inxi

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
OJiSan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OJiSan »

Thank you Karl for catching my error!
It now gives the same output as the Lenovo.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

One more note, as you mentioned ls -1 (minus one). - The much more useful form is ls -l (hyphen lowercase L). Try and you will see and agree. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
OJiSan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OJiSan »

I was just coming on line to post that I'd figured that out. When you showed me I'd gotten the capital "S" wrong I checked and realized the "1" was really a lower case "L" Thank you again Karl!
I still haven't figured out how my terminal names changed in both computers and although from one of xeenopeek's posts I learned how to change them back I am afraid to do so until I know why they changed on their own. In the meantime back to the tutorial. See if this old dog can learn some new tricks.
Thnks again

Return to “Beginner Questions”