Bluetooth headphone latency - is this normal? [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Bluetooth headphone latency - is this normal? [Solved]

Post by guythp »

Hello.

I have a reasonably fresh install of MATE 20.2 on a thinkpad x201i. I connected some bluetooth earphones the other day and noticed there is a small delay in the sound - just less than around .5 of a second, is this normal ? I've tested two separate pairs of earphones and they have the same delay, it's not really an issue other than when I'm using Hatari (ok, it's not an issue then, just more noticeable when watching some demos)
It's not a huge issue; it doesn't really affect watching films etc but I wondered if this was normal (even with other distros/OS's)? I have googled the issue and it seems other people have reported noticing the same sort of thing in ubuntu, but I don't really want to start copy/pasting changes to pulse audio or anything else given the relative newness of my install (and on my last one I tinkered and tinkered until numerous things didn't work - I've learnt my lesson).
I have wired headphones so I can use those for hatari (and later on when I set up my mixer with mixxx), I just wondered if anyone else had noticed or was aware of this?

*edit*
thanks for the reply, that explains enough for me! I'll mark this thread as solved. :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Bluetooth headphone latency - is this normal?

Post by AZgl1800 »

yup,

I deal with it every day.
it takes a finite amount of time, for the audio to be Digitized.

it is even worse with my Bluetooth headphones listening to my DISH TV movies.
more like 0.75 to 1 second there.

but, for some reason, the Captions are in Sync with the BT audio
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”