After installing Mint on iMac, no boot menu, loud sound

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danielluedi
Level 1
Level 1

After installing Mint on iMac, no boot menu, loud sound

Post by danielluedi »

Hi everyone. I am absolutely new to Linux and just installed Linux Mint on a iMac on a partition parallel to the Mac OS X partition. I installed refit as boot manager. I started Linux after the installation and made all the updates (got the Linux on USB stick from a friend).
Then I shut Linux down. Even the next day it did not have shut down and the round mint icon was still to be seen in the muddle of the screen. I forced the computer to shut down and restarted. It started directly with Linux, without the boot manager where to choose the operating system. I tried some programs, made some setting changes and wanted to listen to some music: the sound was way too loud on lowest volume setting (1%), Then I wanted to shut down. The following message appeared on the screen: Image
How can I fix this? Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: After installing Mint on iMac, no boot menu, loud sound

Post by Hoser Rob »

You mean you installed this Refit? ... http://refit.sourceforge.net

If so that may be your problem. That program hasn't been updated since 2013, which is a problem in Linux, which does not have much backwards compatibility. And, I must ask, what problem did you have with the Mint boot manager to make you want to use another?

You could try purging refit but if it's a new install you may be better off just reinstalling Mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
danielluedi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: After installing Mint on iMac, no boot menu, loud sound

Post by danielluedi »

Dear Rob, thank you for replying. I followed a german instruction how to install a dual boot system on a iMac and there they wrote that refit is outdated but still works. But this article ist old.
How can I make the Mint boot manager work to let me choose the operative system when starting the computer?

When reinstalling Mint how do I delete the actual version? Do I just boot from the USB stick and install it on the partitions I actually use for the Mint? Do I have to format the partitions when doing it?
Thank you

Return to “Beginner Questions”